Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

June 24, 2024, 3:44 am UTC    
September 22, 2022 02:13PM
Byrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cladking Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> > Obviously the eight words that comprise
> > programming language and which breaks Zipf's
> Law
>
> ...(programmer speaking)... and you know this HOW?
> And where are you getting those "eight words"
> from? And which programming language are we
> talking about? If you're talking about machine
> language, you are quite incorrect. I know this
> because I've had to read core dump.

I don't know. I guess it must be machine language. I speak to a couple experts in the field but don't understand quite a bit of their work.

One of these days I'll have to ask one to "define" the simplest word. It will probably be over my head though.

> ...and your proof for this is...?

Again, this is according to experts. Yes, I did notice that Ancient Language doesn't follow Zipf's Law before I knew what Zipf's Law even is. I attend to language and word choice much more than most people and always have. The Pyramid Texts simply leaped out as not containing any of the words that cause the the incidence of word usage to be a straight line on a logarithmic scale. It was researching this that led me to Zipf's Law.

I have a few hypotheses as to the cause of this word distribution but in essence I believe they can be laid at the feet of an organic process. AL was not "organic" either.

> I'd be quite intrigued to see the proof, since
> Zipf's law applies to the whole corpus. Examining
> messages here shows that they don't follow Zipf's
> law and yet are perfectly comprehensible. In
> fact, individual messages on this board do not
> show the same pattern of words as predicted in
> Zipf's law.

Yes! Sample size has to be significant to fill in the curve and different authors increase the need to have a larger sample.

Part of the reason that Ancient Language stands out so much as being so very very different than any modern language is that there are so very few words in it. I once went through several pages of the dictionary in different sections counting those words that appear in AL. Many pages had no words at all. Ancient Language had very very few words in it.

> Actually, English has a LOT of linguistic rules.
> We notice when non-English speakers violate them.

And many rules are frequently broken.

> > Indeed the English can be deconstructed in all
> > manner of ways especially if the statement is
> > spoken rather than written. "Four" and its
> > homonyms have thousands of meanings as do
> "equal",
> > "plus", and "two".

> Now you're conflating spoken English with written
> English. "Four" is not the same as "for" or
> "fore."

No matter. The fact is each of these words have many definitions and connotations as well as unique usages even excluding homonyms.

> ...and I'm
> not sure you understand what's meant by digital
> here.

All logic and data are digital or can be expressed digitally. Even animal brains operate digitally with each neuron on or off.

All modern human languages are symbolic, abstract, and have no fixed definitions.

> ...and I'm beginning to suspect you have only a
> limited idea about math and computer code.

You are correct. I wasn't even adept at advanced calculus.

> (raises eyebrow at term 'metaphysics')

I'm using the definition of "metaphysics" that is "basis of science". These are the definitions, axioms, and experiments that define theory but excluding paradigms. .

> Language has to follow certain rules to be
> utilitarian and understandable.

Yes. But no matter how clearly, precisely, and literally you express yourself many will parse your words in wholly unintended ways. No two individuals will parse any sentence the exact same way. It's impossible because words lack fixed meanings. Ancient words had fixed meanings.

> A language that
> is full of metaphysical analogies or jargon won't
> survive long enough to be passed on because it's
> not useful.

AL was the "basis of ancient science", I believe. Language was logical and meanings were fixed. We have nothing at all like it but math comes closest but where equations have a single application sentences had universal application.

> This would be quite a bit more than either of us
> reads or speaks (I am fluent in one,
> tourist-fluent in about three, and can read bits
> and pieces of Latin and ancient Egyptian.) In
> addition, those who worked with him or continued
> his work were also talented linguists who could
> speak and write in many languages. As the
> language was translated, we learned many concepts
> that were not present in ancient writings (ma'at,
> for instance, or the idea of the multilayered
> soul).

Well I'm jealous. I can communicate with a very wide swathe of of personality types and educational levels if they speak English and I can read Spanish OK. I used to read a little Latin but I seriously doubt I still could.

____________
Man fears the pyramid, time fears man.
Subject Author Posted

Happy 200th Hieroglyphs Deciphering Anniversary Day, Champollion!

Hermione September 14, 2022 02:48AM

Re: Happy 200th Hieroglyphs Deciphering Day, Champollion!

engbren September 17, 2022 06:49AM

Thanks (n/t)

Hermione September 17, 2022 07:45AM

Thanks

cladking September 17, 2022 01:04PM

Re: Thanks

Hans_lune September 20, 2022 01:13AM

Re: Thanks

Hermione September 20, 2022 05:21AM

Re: Thanks

Hans_lune September 20, 2022 10:13AM

Re: Thanks

Hermione September 20, 2022 10:27AM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 20, 2022 01:40PM

Re: Thanks

Hans_lune September 20, 2022 04:25PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 21, 2022 09:28AM

Re: Thanks

Hans_lune September 21, 2022 11:03AM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 21, 2022 12:50PM

Young and Champollion

Hermione September 21, 2022 04:02PM

Very interesting, thanks (n/t)

cladking September 22, 2022 10:20AM

You cannot translate or 'interpret' a language you cannot read

Hans_lune September 21, 2022 05:08PM

Re: Thanks

Byrd September 21, 2022 04:51PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 22, 2022 10:18AM

Re: Thanks

Byrd September 22, 2022 12:04PM

Re: Thanks

Hans_lune September 22, 2022 12:15PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 22, 2022 02:13PM

Re: Thanks

Hermione September 22, 2022 02:38PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 22, 2022 03:12PM

Re: Thanks

Hermione September 22, 2022 05:05PM

Re: Thanks

Hans_lune September 22, 2022 06:15PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 23, 2022 08:57AM

Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyphic characters

Hermione September 23, 2022 10:05AM

Re: Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyphic characters

Hans_lune September 23, 2022 11:56AM

Re: Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyphic characters

Hermione September 23, 2022 02:32PM

Re: Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyphic characters

cladking September 23, 2022 07:08PM

A full translation of the PT into AL?

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 04:38PM

Re: A full translation of the PT into AL?

cladking September 24, 2022 04:58PM

Re: Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyphic characters

cladking September 23, 2022 11:58AM

Re: Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyphic characters

Hermione September 23, 2022 02:23PM

Re: Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyphic characters

cladking September 23, 2022 04:50PM

Really?

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 04:41PM

Re: Really?

cladking September 24, 2022 05:12PM

Re: Really?

cladking September 24, 2022 05:20PM

We don't believe a word you are saying, your opinions are not facts

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 05:27PM

Re: We don't believe a word you are saying, your opinions are not facts

cladking September 24, 2022 05:46PM

Re: We don't believe a word you are saying, your opinions are not facts

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 05:55PM

Nonsense

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 05:28PM

Rejected for lack of evidence

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 05:29PM

Re: Examples of hieroglyphs/hieroglyph ic characters

Hermione September 25, 2022 04:18AM

Re: Thanks

Hans_lune September 22, 2022 06:13PM

Re: Thanks

Byrd September 23, 2022 11:09PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 24, 2022 08:57AM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 24, 2022 09:11AM

They did not think at all and had no word for "think" or any abstraction.

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 04:43PM

Ancient lanaguage is debunked

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 04:31PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 22, 2022 02:28PM

no matter how much you spew nonsense - it still remains nonsense

Hans_lune September 22, 2022 03:04PM

(To Byrd) Hear, hear! (n/t)

Hermione September 22, 2022 02:30PM

Re: (To Byrd) Hear, hear! (n/t)

Hans_lune September 22, 2022 03:05PM

Re: Thanks

cladking September 22, 2022 10:40AM

More on Ancient Languages ...

Hermione September 22, 2022 04:58PM

Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 05:31PM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

Hans_lune September 24, 2022 06:12PM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

Hermione September 25, 2022 04:40AM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

cladking September 28, 2022 08:45AM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

Hermione September 28, 2022 09:12AM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

Hans_lune September 28, 2022 11:20AM

Cladking remains debunked - ancient language doesn't exist

Hans_lune September 28, 2022 11:32AM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

Byrd September 28, 2022 07:59PM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

Hans_lune September 28, 2022 08:35PM

Re: Early next week we will restart the Shu experiments

cladking October 01, 2022 09:14AM

Shu experiment shows you are wrong

Hans_lune October 01, 2022 11:01AM

Ancient (Goofy) Language debunked

Hans_lune September 27, 2022 10:54PM

Best evidence of geysers

Hans_lune September 29, 2022 11:56PM



Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login