Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 3:49 pm UTC    
August 14, 2001 08:09AM
<HTML>In my opinion, repeatability is merely a method for testing an hypothesis. Since there is no way to repeat history to see if it would turn out the same way, then repeatability is NOT an option in archaeology.

However, archaeology has an advantage that other sciences do not have... a finite amount of information.

Given any finite system, it is possible organize the elements into a logical sequence that explains, via cause and effect relationships, the successive pieces of information.

This leaves archaeology open to future modification, as new information from the finite system may come to light... in other words, if we excavate a 200 ton diesel crane in Egypt, and find it was buried 4000 years ago, then we have to modify our theories about the sequence of cause and effect.

The problem with this system is the assumption that all data known at any specific time is ALL the date in the finite system.

It is not.

We must remain open to future revision... just as if you were building a puzzle, and somebody dumped a bunch of new pieces on the table. In this field, more so than any other, it is important to remain dispassionate about one's theories and conjectures. They may ALL need to be tossed out at a moment's notice.

To sum it up, the "repeatability" test is replaced in archaeology with the "sequential logic" test. So long as there is no contradictory data, a theory can be held to be true. The way to decide between two theories that equally account for the data is by the use of Occam's Razor. That would be more of a concensus agreement, (like Robert's Rules of Order) than it would be a valid scientific method for determining fact.

There. I hope that my longwinded tirade has helped people understand how I think of archaeology. And I hope that at least ONE person out there (besides myself) actually cares.

Anthony</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Repeatability in archaeology

Martin Stower August 14, 2001 06:47AM

Re: Repeatability in archaeology

Anthony August 14, 2001 08:09AM

Mikey Brass August 14, 2001 08:36AM

Anthony August 14, 2001 09:02AM

John Wall August 14, 2001 09:12AM

Mikey Brass August 14, 2001 09:14AM

Anthony August 14, 2001 10:07AM

Stephen Tonkin August 14, 2001 10:41AM

Anthony August 14, 2001 02:26PM

Mikey Brass August 14, 2001 08:34AM

Anthony August 14, 2001 09:07AM

Mikey Brass August 14, 2001 09:25AM

Anthony August 14, 2001 02:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login