Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 2, 2024, 5:48 pm UTC    
September 12, 2001 05:56PM
<HTML>Everyone I know personally was evacuated after the first plane struck. The two people from my office were originally on the 65th floor of the second building... ground zero for the second plane. They had made their way to the 25th floor BEFORE the second plane struck. Fortunately, since the 1993 bombing, there have been strict guidlines and procedures in place for any such situation. When I was there 3 years ago (spent 3 weeks on the 65th floor) we had to go through phenomenal security to get onto the elevators.

Tuesday, all that security paid off.

My friends were out of the building and up Broadway before the building collapsed.

I know that I have lost some acquaintances, but I don't know who they are yet. The 67th floor houses one of the departments that I deal with regularly. I don't know who is out yet.

God help those that are still alive in the rubble. May we find them before they suffer too much longer. If we are not to find them, may they be saved from further suffering.

We are still getting cellphone calls from people trapped in the six levels below ground. Most don't realize but there is a HUGE mall BETWEEN the two towers... it connects them. I've eaten pizza and ice cream and beer in that mall.

I can't comprehend that it's no longer there. I used to know the little secrets of finding side subway entrances that would keep you from dealing with the main gates... now, I know nothing. I can't even imagine that the rooms and the computers and the facilities.... the GREAT cafeteria, where they would offer six different kinds of lunch every day... from sandwiches to well-prepared seafood... the offices... my friends and colleagues that had pictures of their children tucked into the corners of their computer screens...

all gone.

Every day I would stand and look out my window at the harbor... I would look at the Statue of Liberty... now, that view can never be replicated. It only exists in my mind... in my memory... and in my photo album.

It's like having your family home destroyed. This building complex has been a part of the American landscape since it was opened in 1973. Do you remember the remake of King Kong from 1976? Kong climbed the towers because they looked like two stone pillars on his home island. Now, it's gone.

The trailer for "SpiderMan" has been pulled, because SpiderMan captured a band of bankrobbers getting away in a helicopter by capturing them in a spiderweb between the Twin Towers. The Twin Towers aren't there any more.

They're not there.

any more.

There is no retribution that will satisfy this angst. There is no such thing as an equal and fair response. I won't make any threats here. I will make my own way in this dark and horrifying time.

I hope this helps you understand some of what America is feeling today. I'm probably one of the least passionate of the people I know.

May God Bless America,
Anthony</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Sombre Day

Garrett September 11, 2001 07:32PM

Re: Sombre Day

Chris Dunn September 11, 2001 10:02PM

Don Holeman September 11, 2001 11:39PM

Stephen Tonkin September 12, 2001 12:14AM

Robert G. Bauval September 12, 2001 12:43AM

Mark Fagan September 12, 2001 03:26AM

Mikey Brass September 12, 2001 08:13AM

Prayer on a sombre day

Anthony September 12, 2001 06:46AM

Your Friends

ISHMAEL September 12, 2001 03:47PM

Re: Your Friends

Anthony September 12, 2001 05:56PM

Re: Sombre Day and Sadness

sandy September 12, 2001 06:48AM

A Ray of Light on a Dark Day

Jason September 12, 2001 07:09AM

Re: A Ray of Light on a Dark Day

John Wall September 12, 2001 07:53AM

Blue September 12, 2001 08:23AM

Katherine Reece September 12, 2001 09:34AM

Mark Fagan September 12, 2001 09:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login