Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 7, 2024, 2:29 am UTC    
August 12, 2001 12:06PM
<HTML>
Oohm,

Since taking Shakespeare 202 with Thelma Johnson ( a long time ago) I have also observed that when it comes to politicians, especially those of the academic persuasion, it seems to be construed as a sign of weakness for one to preface a new idea by saying something like "it appears as if it may be true that" X is right, even if the presenter things this would be more accurate.

All too commonly those fraught with a sort of intellectual form of penis envy drop the former and simply say "X is right", which not only has the effect of deluding the reader but is, in fact, tantamount to deception. Why this is done escapes me, but I think it has something to do with sounding tough. Semantical accuracy is sacfificed in the name of bravado, and John Q Public is usually led down a merry trail that culminates in a factual dead-end, or a cul-de-sac at best. At the end of the day and for no good reason, this poor trusting person is left thinking that if we were a Tarot Card, he'd have to be The Fool.

When I read FOG, I read it more than once and very carefully. Unfortunately I don't have my copy at hand, but nowhere at any point did Graham Hancock ever say that the pyramids were built around 12.5 thousand years ago. He suggested that this may be true, and for what appeared to be very good reason. As such, Martin Stower's allegation that he did say otherwise is wrong, and indicative of illiteracy on his part, or deceit.

Given the potentially libelous nature of this matter, I would like to invite all concerned parties, be they currently somewhere in Timbuktu, an internet cafe on the Isle of Ko Samui or the ivory towers of suburban England to prove to me, us, verbatim, that Graham ever said this, without prefacing it by a plausibility qualifier.

Once I was told by a friend of mine that you couldn't use qualifiers in the context of such weighty discussions, as if this went againt some sort of academic hardass code of conduct. The implicit notion was that introducing something as a hypothesis was the equivalent of presenting it as a theory, so trying to create such a distinction by saying "it seems" etc was beside the point: either way the presenter would or should stand accused of having said something he claimed to be fact. This line of thinking is utterly absurd.

If I could count all of the time I've spent in retrospect sorting out the mess that this erroneous nondistinction has created, I would need, not a clock, but a calendar, and if reincarnation is actually true, perhaps something more akin to Stonehenge...

Again, on this point I would like to invite anyone, but especially Martin to cite the relevant passage and show us exactly what Graham said on this point.

Oopsy! by the way, there was a typo above, in the third paragraph.
Actually, I meant to say...

"AS I RECALL, nowhere at any point did Graham Hancock ever say that the pyramids were built around 12.5 thousand years ago. I BELIEVE THAT he suggested that this may be true, and for what appeared to be very good reason. As such, Martin Stower's allegation that he did say this COULD BE wrong, and POSSIBLY indicative of illiteracy on his part, or deceit IF HE KNEW BETTER."

That changes things considerably, doesn't it. My apologies to all if the original version of this paragraph in any way misrepresented the positions of the concerned parties.

PS - By the way, I've just gotten an email from Peter regarding the alleged forgery issue, which has nothing to do with Graham but of Howard Vyse. I recall this name and the related matter rather vaguely, but can somebody tell how Vyse fits into not only the historical question, but Graham's usage of Vyse in Fingerprints of the Gods?</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

MARTIN STOWER - WHAT FORGERY ? ?

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 10:54AM

Re: MARTIN STOWER - WHAT FORGERY ? ?

Peter Vanderzwet August 12, 2001 11:10AM

Hardass talk vs reality, hypothses vs theory

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 12:06PM

Re: Hardass talk vs reality, hypothses vs theory

Peter Vanderzwet August 12, 2001 12:11PM

Re: Use of Vyse.

Derek Barnett August 12, 2001 12:17PM

MAAT 30; GH 15

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 12:37PM

Re: MAAT 30; GH 15

Katherine Reece August 12, 2001 12:44PM

Re: MAAT 30; GH 30

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 12:50PM

Peter Vanderzwet August 12, 2001 12:54PM

Re: MAAT 40; GH 30

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 01:09PM

Stephen Tonkin August 12, 2001 01:47PM

Dave Moore August 12, 2001 02:48PM

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 01:00PM

Game Ma'at

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 01:24PM

Martin Stower August 12, 2001 04:29PM

Re: MAAT 30; GH 15

D.Przezdziecki August 12, 2001 06:37PM

Tabloids, media, and the bottome line

Mark Grant August 12, 2001 06:51PM

Re: Hardass talk vs reality, hypothses vs theory

Martin Stower August 13, 2001 09:06AM

Sorry Martin! Hardass talk vs reality, hypothses vs theory

Mark Grant August 13, 2001 10:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login