Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 3:39 pm UTC    
May 22, 2005 11:01AM
Hey

I am Michelle's friend (HI Michelle!) who posed the original question. As Michelle said earlier, I am working long hours right now, and in the early stages of moving home, so haven't had a lot of time for the net of late.

Thank you all for your thoughts they have been very interesting to read!!

I gave the letters as a stream as I believe that the message is in more than one language. I studied Latin at school, but that is over 20 years ago, and I did not get far enough into it to be able to remember all but the crudest knowledge of it now. However, my French is slightly better, but still not good enough to decipher this.

I really liked lobo-hotei’s post with the inserts that could possibly refer to Scicily as the context of the words in the original quote from which the above stream is taken (which I believe is a cipher) was to do with “reparations”. I ask if anyone knows is there is any connection between the invasion of Scicily Lobo is discussing and Grail lore and the Templars?

I say this as my interest in the stream of letters comes from my investigations into my family tree which seem to suggest that my family came over from France around 1100 to 1150. I am curious as to why they came over to Britain. There is evidence of Templar and other high religoius and secular office in the tree and my family were certainly powerful people at that time and beyond: until the end of the Templar era when they seemed to nose-dive. The faimly also seem to have held lands in areas where there was Templar activity here in Britain. DarkUser’s reference to Anglo-Norman would confirm a suspision I have about the quote and about my family tree if indeed there were an Anglo-Norman translation. The quote comes from an area of France where there is a fair bit of Templar/Grail legend.

Going further back to around 900, there is evidence that my family where in Brittany, from there there are two options: either they went to Brittany from Britain (to avoid the Anglo-Saxons) or they came up to Brittany from the south of France. depending on which line you follow: female or male line: the former seeming to come from England and the latter from Southern France: although even in the early 900’s there is evidence that members of the female line held lands in England and were connected with England through ties which appear (vaguely at this stage) connected to the later Templars.

The quote was written in the 1700’s. Given what I am finding about British and European history as I reserch my family history, the quote appears to be speaking of an earlier age, so the quote could easily be a rehashed or copied quote from an earlier period. The 1700’s saw the formation of modern Freemasonry which appears to at least have similar underlying motivations and beliefs to those that inspired the Templars, if not that Freemasonry is a continuation of a belief system that was taken from the Templars once the Templars were outlawed.

“I could easily be wrong, of course, but, FWIW, Michelle's sentence just doesn't have the same sort of feel.”

Looking at the text you have posted I agree Hermione. I am aware that the language that maybe preceeded even “Old French” had its origins in Latin, and that’s why I wondered if it was very early French.

I spent a little time on the Latin version of the stream this morning and this is what I came up with:

FET PAR QUI E REI A IC RE (R) TIO (N) MC PRE TE SAVI (G) SOMIER (GE) AT PARRIS .

translates loosely to:

To be able to speak suitably (out) of a thing, before smiting think, (R) move/shake/rouse/disturb/provoke/invoke/produce/discharge (N) 1100 before you kiss (or In view of your sweetheart) (G) accept/select/begin/obtain (GE) but yet/at least the Owl

Now does this make sense to anyone? Going back to the early Christian era (and even beyond what significance does the Owl have? Does it refer to a leader, a country, a brotherhood? Or could it just refer to wisdom?

The letters in brackets do not seem to fit, but all the other letters mean something in Latin as I have noted below in the order in which they appear

I have not looked at the positions of the words in the sentence which will give more clues (ie subject, object, tenses etc etc), as that would take too long and I am really pushed for time right now, so I don’t know if the letters/words would ever appear the way I have shown them here in a Latin sentence.

In the original quote the author was unable to say whether it was a C or a T in "TIO": cio is a latin word tio isn't, so I plumbed for C. Also "SOMIER" isn't Latin, but SUMIER is, and given the multiple changes in Latin over the years, I think that it is reasonably close. The "R" in brackets that does not fit anywhere. It could at some point have been part or "RE" meaning think or thing giving "RER" instead of "RE". The "N" in Brackets could refer to "North" giving "move north 1100" which, given that the quote is on a building could mean move north 1100 paces from the position of the quote???

Now the interesting thing is that the quote is found in a part of France where, legend has it, there is a very important buriel: so could the quote be a hidden signpost??? Could the "Sweetheart" referred to be a landmark: the landmark the quote is written on?

In many myths the Owl is Wisdom: to a Grail searcher could the Owl refer to answers (ie wisdom) on the Grail Quest that can be found 1100 paces north of "the Sweetheart" and that cannot be found by getting angry and "smiting" Ie a secret can be shared if the reader is patient?

The only thing that does not fit are the single "G" and the "GE" near the end: which I do not have a theory on.

The reason i say think it could have a different but similar message in different languages is because this would suit the religious background which inspired the "quote": the bible has different messages depending on which "language" you read it in. In the case of the bible, the different (underlying) messages can only be read if you are familiar with the code (language) the bible is written in, and can decipher the code: and this would suit the ideology of the above "quote" too: what is actually written is nothing like the above quote. but does not make sense: so therefore it must be coded: if it were meant to be read in different languages, by people from many different countries then it might be quite difficult to make what is written on the surface perfect granmer: so there may be spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, but by deciphering the code and breaking down the quote into small fragments, then you do definately see elements of French and Latin and maybe other languages that I am not familiar with like Spanish or Italien:

Another thought: there are supposedly two important buriel sites in that area: could the Owl refer to just one? "move 1100 (paces) and find at least the Owl?"...just one of the buriel sites? Or at least you might find another clue in that the Owl holds wisdom that can lead to the buriels? Just a thought!

Anyway here are the individual word translations my Latin translator program gave me

Fet = speak/say

Par - equally/like/suitably
Par = bear/beget/produce/aquire

qui = to be able or qu’I = which

e = out of

Rei =plaintiff/thing

a =- from/before

ic = hit/smite

re = think/thing

(“R)

ci.o - cio, cire, -, -
move/shake/rouse/disturb/provoke/invoke/produce/discharge

(N)

MC= 1100

prae. - prae
before/forward//in view of

som.ier = accept/take up/begin/suppose/select/purchase/obtain

at. - but/on the contrary/while/but yet/at least

Parris = Owl

Subject Author Posted

Anyone read old French or Latin?

Michelle May 12, 2005 04:54PM

Re: Anyone read old French or Latin?

John Wall May 12, 2005 05:05PM

Anonymous User May 13, 2005 04:15PM

darkuser May 14, 2005 05:14AM

Anonymous User May 14, 2005 10:42AM

Sue May 12, 2005 05:06PM

Dave L May 12, 2005 05:32PM

darkuser May 12, 2005 05:48PM

Michelle May 12, 2005 06:07PM

darkuser May 12, 2005 06:21PM

lobo-hotei May 12, 2005 06:42PM

darkuser May 12, 2005 07:07PM

lobo-hotei May 12, 2005 07:47PM

Stephen Tonkin May 13, 2005 11:42AM

Michelle May 12, 2005 05:43PM

Online Translator for Latin

darkuser May 12, 2005 05:44PM

Michelle May 12, 2005 06:33PM

Ritva Kurittu May 12, 2005 08:25PM

Michelle May 13, 2005 03:11AM

Ritva Kurittu May 13, 2005 09:26AM

Michelle May 14, 2005 03:28AM

darkuser May 14, 2005 05:46AM

FireStone May 22, 2005 11:01AM

Hermione May 22, 2005 02:15PM

FireStone May 22, 2005 03:29PM

Michelle May 23, 2005 02:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login