Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 21, 2024, 11:20 pm UTC    
July 18, 2005 06:02PM
I mentioned below that we had several theories regarding the seventh and final Harry Potter book. What I've written below isn't written with the proper "speculative" caveats... it's written as if it were known. Naturally, we DON'T know it, but it is just easier to write that way. This has been a family effort, and a LOT of fun to put together.

I look forward to anybody's input on this.

RAB.... someone who was going after Voldemort and as a result knew he was going to die for his transgressions against the Dark Lord.

Who is it? Easy.... Regulas Black, Sirius' younger brother. Here's a quote from Book Five:

"No, he was murdered by Voldemort. Or on Voldemort's orders, most likely. I doubt Regulus was ever important enough to be killed by Voldemort in person. From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out."

The Black family is PACKED with women whose first initial is "A" (Andromeda, Araminta, etc). However, I can't find the names of Sirius' and Regulus' actual parents. The "A" in "RAB" is in there somewhere.

This explains another element. You see, Regulus took the amulet and hid it somewhere (read the note exactly):

To the Dark Lord

I know I will be dead long before you read this
but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match,
you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B.

It hasn't been destroyed for certain, so where is it?

Where else but 12 Gramauld Place!

I suspect there is a hidden room there, holding four things.

1. The missing horcrux locket.

2. A library of books that aren't allowed at Hogwarts... we heard that concept mentioned. I'd love to see Hermione get her hands on THAT collection!

3. A map of the missing horcruxes... except one that didn't make it into its final destination... Godric Gryffindor's sword.

4. A talking portrait of Regulus, who will help put all this together for him.

OR....

1. The map, the amulet...and a small bottle of white, wispy material that mixes well with a pensieve. I still think the books will be found somewhere there, as they made a point of mentioning "books banned at Hogwarts", and Harry needs to learn some more tricks before he is ready to face Voldemort. His fight at the end with Snape makes that quite clear. There may be a spell for extracting a spirit without damaging the horcrux, but that's far fetched.

This explains why they made such a big deal about Mundungus stealing things from Gramauld Place (at least THREE pointless incidents in the book for something that has NO purpose whatsoever). One of the items possibly taken by Mundungus is the locket. It may also be the map, in some way... or perhaps a jar of memories from Regulus. Remember in book five when they were cleaning Gramauld Place? There's this revealing tidbit, (this excellent catch is courtesy of my significant other, by the way):

....there was a musical box that emitted a faintly sinister, tinkling tune when wound, and they all found themselves becoming curiously weak and sleepy until Ginny had the sense to slam the lid shut; also a heavy locket that none of them could open, a number of ancient seals and, in a dusty box, an order of Merlin, First Class, that had been awarded to Sirius' grandfather for "Services to the Ministry".

(emphasis added).

There it is. Right under our noses the whole time. Rowling is a genius at planting these things VERY early in the books, isn't she? By the way... Kreacher has a gold ring with a black stone and the Black family crest that belonged to Sirius' father. This may also be a horcrux, but I don't think so.

Fortunately, we know where Mundungus is. He's been sent to Azkaban for three years. That interview should be interesting.

We also know that Regulus is really dead. How? Easily... Regulus knew Voldemort was using Horcruxes, but Albus didn't. If Regulus had been in hiding for 15 years, he certainly would have been able to get that information out to the Order of the Phoenix. This is a little fishy, though, because Albus made a big point to Draco about being able to "hide" people from Voldemort if Voldemort thought they were dead. I am VERY curious about who is REALLY still alive!

Since the spell was cast by a friend, could the Avra Kadaver spell Snape used have been defended against in some way? Is that why Albus wanted to be buried at Hogwarts... unlike anyone else in history?

Since we never really hear about James Potter's death in any detail, could he be alive still? (It can't be Lily, or the sacrifice she made wouldn't have been real).

Hmmm....

I'm very inclined to think that Sirius is coming back (no body, no death), but this complicated scenario has loose ends that can only be tied up by the author.

Now... do you want to know why Dumbledore trusted Snape?

Well... first we must remember, Snape had the Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa to protect Draco or do the job for him. Obviously, this meant the killing of Albus. But.... When Snape made it to the group on the roof, Albus had already been convincing Draco he wasn't a killer. Draco had even lowered his wand. Draco was far more sensitive than we thought, having been crying with Moaning Myrtle. They made a big point about killing being a major changing event for a person's soul, so Albus didn't want that to happen to Draco. Neither did Severus. That's why he made the Vow with Narcissa. He WAS protecting Draco (but from Voldemort, not from Dumbledore!), and when it came to Draco's big assignment, he agreed to do it for him... but since he had already agreed to do it (you'll see what I mean in a second), so the vow with Narcissa was virtually worthless.

The reason Albus trusted Severus so completely at every major juncture is because ... Snape was still breathing. Think about it. The real reason Snape turned against Voldemort was because Severus was in love with Lilly Potter, and wanted her for himself. That's why Voldemort told her to get out of the way. When she didn't, the Dark Lord threw his "promise" to Snape out the window, and killed Lilly. Bad move... that put the Half-Blood Prince against him forever. But....

Before Albus would EVER trust an ex-Death Eater with ANYTHING (especially the students!), he made sure he had a way of knowing he would never be betrayed. Answer: Snape had an Unbreakable Vow with Dumbledore. If Severus had ever betrayed Dumbledore... ever refused his bidding... he would have died instantly. That's how Albus always knew Snape had never betrayed him... Severus was still breathing. That's also why Severus was
"muttering his countercurse" in the first book when Harry's broom was jinxed. He had sworn to Albus that he would protect Harry.

So, when you see Snape facing Albus, he doesn't look "satisfied" or "smug", he's not "victorious" or "crazed"... he's looking tense and upset. Albus pleaded with Snape... but not to NOT kill him. "Severus....Please..." He pleaded with him to do his final bidding before Draco would be changed forever by the act of murder.

Think about it.... Snape then kills Albus, and runs from the roof. Harry gives chase. Harry, in fact, is ALONE when he chases the three Death Eaters onto the grounds. Hagrid is coming, but his spells are worthless against Snape and Draco -- first year stuff at best. Severus tells everyone to LEAVE HARRY ALONE... he's one the Dark Lord wants for himself. Well... if THAT were true, then why didn't Snape just petrify Harry, grab him, and take him to Voldemort as the ULTIMATE victory trophy over Dumbledore?

Because he killed Albus to endear himself without doubt to Voldemort. Dumbledore knew this was the kind of action that would be necessary to get Severus as far in as anyone could be with the friendless Tom Riddle. Albus gave his life to get Severus deep under cover. I've also read today where some people think Albus was dying anyway (his blackened hand) and so combined with the ten cups of poison, all Snape did was accelerate the inevitable. That feels a little funny to me, though.

Snape is viciously disturbed by Harry calling him a coward. Why should he care what Harry thinks? Well, killing Dumbledore was probably the bravest thing Severus had ever, ever done. Albus was his friend. No coward could ever have done what he just did.

Oh... I think the reason Lupin really trusts Snape is because he is the wizard that cast the Unbreakable Vow (remember... it's takes a third wizard, like Bellatrix did in the beginning). He may have had his memory modified afterward, though, so he doesn't really remember the exact situation. I'm sure Albus wouldn't have wanted that little tid-bit floating around, and certainly neither would Severus!

Now... if you still want more...

The sixth and last horcrux was destined for the last remaining item owned by the Gryffindor heirs. Owned by the last living descendant who happened to live in Godric's hollow... the sword of Godric Gryffindor, in the possession of one James Potter, the last Heir of Gryffindor ("Not just anyone could pull that out of the hat...").

But, before he could get his hands on the sword (which is why Voldemort wanted to come back and teach at Hogwarts, by the way) he committed the murder of James Potter; the murder he needed to split his soul and while he was all prepared, he tried to kill Harry. Bad move... in his condition... ready to split his spirit... he got blocked by the Love spell that protected Harry. This caused the Horcrux Spell to go off early, and deposit his last horcrux in Harry. We know a living creature can hold a horcrux because they are looking for the snake, Nagini, who also holds a piece. This explains the ability to speak Parselmouth; it explains the Sorting Hat's confusion over where to put Harry in Book One. It explains virtually everything.

Now, someone I know called the Ginny thing YEARS ago. However, the whole "Spider-Man" parallel is a little much. "I love you, but if you're with me, you're in danger..." We'll see how that eventually plays out. I'm not sure they'll ever get together, because IF Harry is the Horcrux, then he may need to die in order to destroy the last vestige of Voldemort on this Earth. Perhaps he can stay as the horcrux in pepetuity, but that would be a little weird. I don't see this building to an uncertain ending. There may be a way of splitting the spirit out of Harry, but this is something Snape will be working on through the entire seventh book, as I'm sure Albus communicated the entire horcrux situation to Severus before he left for the cave. The Prophecy is fairly vague on this. Harry might need to die.

So, that's how far we've gotten. Who else has any other insights?

(Sorry for the edit, Anthony, but figured we should give a heads up that this thread will contain spoilers. Topic was only thing changed.--Stephanie)

Anthony

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2005 02:09AM by Stephanie.
Subject Author Posted

Harry Potter theories for Book Seven (SPOILERS)

Anthony July 18, 2005 06:02PM

Re: Harry Potter theories for Book Seven

Anthony July 18, 2005 07:55PM

Stephanie July 19, 2005 02:08AM

Anthony July 19, 2005 10:47AM

cicely July 19, 2005 11:18AM

Stephanie July 19, 2005 11:34AM

cicely July 19, 2005 11:37AM

Stephanie July 19, 2005 12:08PM

Anthony July 19, 2005 12:33PM

MikeS July 19, 2005 02:23AM

my theories

MikeS July 19, 2005 01:10PM

Re: my theories

Anthony July 19, 2005 02:41PM

MikeS July 20, 2005 02:28AM

Anthony July 20, 2005 06:55AM

Stephanie July 20, 2005 10:57AM

Anthony July 20, 2005 12:02PM

Stephanie July 20, 2005 12:29PM

Anthony July 20, 2005 01:11PM

Stephanie July 20, 2005 01:32PM

Anthony July 20, 2005 02:33PM

MikeS July 21, 2005 02:29AM

Mercury Rapids July 21, 2005 05:46AM

Anthony July 21, 2005 08:27AM

Anthony July 21, 2005 08:29AM

Funny Potter theories for Book Seven (SPOILERS)

Anthony July 21, 2005 09:41AM

Re: Harry Potter theories for Book Seven (SPOILERS)

Roxana July 21, 2005 12:21PM

Doug Weller July 21, 2005 12:34PM

Stephanie July 21, 2005 01:04PM

Anthony July 21, 2005 01:58PM

Roxana Cooper July 21, 2005 02:34PM

Anthony July 21, 2005 02:58PM

R.A. B.

teacup July 26, 2005 09:38AM

Re: R.A. B.

Stephanie July 26, 2005 10:29AM

teacup July 26, 2005 11:10AM

Stephanie July 26, 2005 11:41AM

More tying up of loose ends

teacup July 27, 2005 02:28AM

Re: More tying up of loose ends

Anthony August 18, 2005 02:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login