Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 8, 2024, 11:40 pm UTC    
October 27, 2016 11:23AM
rakovsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But then.... like I said, colonists from 18th c.
> England could have chosen springs as areas to
> build their own structures themselves, no need to
> demand it was done by Irish monks.

And this they surely did, one needs water to live. However, the colonialists apparently made no special effort to build their homes directly over a 90 degree intersection - and yet all of the chambers I have visited were so built - with the intersection lying in the heart of each chamber. Go dowse them and you will see. Also, their openings all appear to be facing to the east, I would guess (based on my compass readings) to one or another local solstice or equinox position.

As far as I have determined there is absolutely no record of, nor tradition of, colonialists building such chambers either in the New World, or the Old. The kind of dry wall stonework, with large flat roofing stones, is however, very much like that seen in the northern tier of the British Isles. There has been speculation that these chambers were built as root cellars, but this makes no sense. They are usually not close by to any old dwelling site, plus why go to all the trouble to build such a separate structure when you could simply incorporate your root cellar into the foundation work of your home or barn (as was commonly done) - thus saving on labor, distance, and effectiveness?

There is no record of Native Americans performing this kind of stonework in the northeast region, if indeed anywhere. Plus, as I've said, they apparently were not versed in a dowsing tradition.

Many still extant chambers are missing some, if not all, of their flat roofing stones - stones which were likely hauled off by the first colonial arrivals for use as culvert stones, or similar. I should think that they thought these structures had been built by the native Indians. However, in my area these chambers are almost all at elevation and some distance from the Connecticut River. There is ample documentation that the early colonial settlers here first established themselves up at elevation because the native tribes trafficked the River, but they did not stray far from the immediate valley floor. This is a curious thing unless you infer that they knew about these already then ancient mysterious chamber sites and decided to give a wide berth to whatever creature or god had built them. I have read documentation that the native Indians thought of the hills surrounding the river in this way, but would need to search to find the reference.

That other remains of the builders of these chambers have apparently not survived is a question I can't answer - other than to say that perhaps it's better to state that such remains have as yet not been knowingly found.

I am certain that these chambers significantly predate the colonial period, but as to exactly when they were built I don't know. As I said, Goodwin's theory and explanation seem the best to me, and if you are truly interested in this subject I would suggest reading his book and exploring these chamber sites for yourself.

Subject Author Posted

Do you believe that either Amerindians or precolumbian European settlers built New England Megaliths?

Anonymous User October 26, 2016 12:07AM

Re: Do you believe that either Amerindians or precolumbian European settlers built New England Megaliths?

Roxana Cooper October 26, 2016 05:57PM

Re: Do you believe that either Amerindians or precolumbian European settlers built New England Megaliths?

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 10:22AM

Roxana Cooper October 27, 2016 11:24AM

Paul H. October 29, 2016 11:34PM

Jammer November 01, 2016 02:22PM

Geotio November 01, 2016 03:00PM

Allan Shumaker October 26, 2016 06:46PM

L Cooper October 27, 2016 07:24AM

Geotio October 27, 2016 08:44AM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 10:31AM

Geotio October 27, 2016 10:38AM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 12:03PM

Geotio October 27, 2016 12:09PM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 12:35PM

L Cooper October 27, 2016 11:23AM

Geotio October 27, 2016 12:28PM

L Cooper November 04, 2016 07:24AM

Geotio November 04, 2016 09:28AM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 12:31PM

Roxana Cooper October 27, 2016 11:25AM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 10:27AM

Roxana Cooper October 27, 2016 11:26AM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 12:08PM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 10:25AM

Anonymous User October 27, 2016 01:09PM

Doug Weller December 05, 2016 11:25AM

Khazar-khum December 06, 2016 03:20PM

Doug Weller December 07, 2016 04:46AM

Geotio December 07, 2016 05:50AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login