Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 7, 2024, 3:55 am UTC    
March 22, 2005 02:17AM
Yes, the US is much different in public behavior than in the UK. I know that when I leave the reservation area and enter into a large city, I almost feel bombarded by the amount of energy/chaos surrounding me,lol. Thank you for making the observation of the "transit" look. That's exactly what I am talking about.

In regards to not meeting another in the eye, this is far more dramatic than not meeting the eye of a fellow passenger on a train. You could be talking to the Navajo directly with them responding to you as well but they will look everywhere else but at you. Imagine holding a conversation with someone who will not look at you at all. It's quite perturbing if one doesn't understand that this is something that some Navajo will do. My husband explained that my first experience with the "not looking in the eyes" thing was because the woman was not meeting my eyes in order to keep from offending me. I'm not sure how accurate this is but he explained that because I was caucasian, I was instantly equated with being her people's conqueror. It wasn't meant to be a disrespect. It was showing heavy respect or even fear (hope not!). I certainly hope that he was wrong about this. I felt like absolute dirt afterwards, that's for sure. I have experienced this a great deal less since my daughter was born. I suspect that it is her fairly obvious heritage that puts me into a different light now. I do know that this is, however, a fairly common complaint amongst non-local Caucasians and it's a pity. I don't think that they should relish in it but I do think that they should understand that no insult is meant.

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Common misconceptions of Navajo behaviours

Stephanie March 21, 2005 05:19AM

Re: Common misconceptions of Navajo behaviours

cicely March 21, 2005 04:40PM

Stephanie March 22, 2005 01:52AM

Simon March 21, 2005 08:35PM

Stephanie March 22, 2005 02:17AM

Simon March 22, 2005 09:00AM

Stephanie April 01, 2005 03:50AM

premalatha balan March 22, 2005 03:49AM

Simon March 22, 2005 09:02AM

Ritva Kurittu March 22, 2005 10:25AM

Simon March 22, 2005 10:41AM

premalatha balan March 22, 2005 03:39PM

Simon March 22, 2005 05:31PM

Ritva Kurittu March 23, 2005 03:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login