Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 12:51 pm UTC    
March 21, 2005 05:19AM
Just a few months ago, I was talking with some women who were no local to the area whatsoever. They had all moved into the area just within the last year or so and, at the time, were unaware that my husband was a Navajo. The conversation over coffee turned to discussion of what they felt was rude or cold behaviour on behalf of the local Navajo population's part. I explained these things to them and they were relieved. The problem wasn't actual rudeness but a major cultural difference in public behavior between the two groups.

One of the things that was commented about was how stoic so many Navajo appear to be. You walk through the local Walmart here and you're surrounded by generally pretty grim faced Navajos, pushing their carts along. True, Walmart (especially this walmart) is no joy but this cool demeanor is pretty typical when out in public. It's often mistaken for being aloof, cold, or downright unfriendly. However, it's just the way that many Navajo are publicly. It's considered to be polite behaviour. Kind of strange to consider when one of the most important ceremonies for a new baby is the "first laugh" ceremony--rejoicing in the very young child's first bit of laughter. Contrary to what they may outwardly seem, they are actually very friendly. In fact, probably the neatest moment that I had while living on the reservation was when I said "Merry Keshmesh" to a Navajo friend at the local grocery store. Everyone in the aisle (who had appeared rather grim the moment before) lit up, smiled and greeted me with the same.

A second behaviour noted was how some Navajos will not look one in the eyes if they are not familiar with them. Again, this is a very normal behaviour and does not indicate indifference or ignoring the person that they are speaking with. I haven't quite figured out the main reason why a Navajo may not meet another's eyes, even when speaking to them, but I suspect that it has something to do with respect.

A third common sight to see out here is the lack of pointing with the hands. This one can puzzle people visiting the area if they don't realize how many Navajo actually point. Pointing is not done with the hands, it is done with the lower lip. The lower lip gets kind of stuck out a bit and the head is moved in the general direction of where they are "pointing" at. They aren't being indifferent or lazy at giving one directions. They are just doing what is deemed appropriate for their culture.

These three things can very easily give a tourist or a new resident a very wrong impression in regards to the Navajo. It's very easy to assume that the Navajo are a cold people although it is very untrue. European descent Americans tend to be more open and forward with their emotions publicly and it is the contrast between the two public behaviours that makes it so striking. I sometimes get unsettled still when shopping out here but I have found that if I give a little smile, that smile is always returned. smiling smiley

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Common misconceptions of Navajo behaviours

Stephanie March 21, 2005 05:19AM

Re: Common misconceptions of Navajo behaviours

cicely March 21, 2005 04:40PM

Stephanie March 22, 2005 01:52AM

Simon March 21, 2005 08:35PM

Stephanie March 22, 2005 02:17AM

Simon March 22, 2005 09:00AM

Stephanie April 01, 2005 03:50AM

premalatha balan March 22, 2005 03:49AM

Simon March 22, 2005 09:02AM

Ritva Kurittu March 22, 2005 10:25AM

Simon March 22, 2005 10:41AM

premalatha balan March 22, 2005 03:39PM

Simon March 22, 2005 05:31PM

Ritva Kurittu March 23, 2005 03:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login