Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 15, 2024, 3:02 pm UTC    
April 17, 2005 03:05PM
Hi Moondog

I was a bit ... err.. tired when I wrote that and it doesn't seem to make much sense now. It was the claim in the article that called it an "immoral program to test pesticides on children". In fact it was a quote from Sen. Barbara Boxer, which the article did not qualify or comment on at all. Worse still, neither did any other reports on this story in the main newspapers I've looked at.

They are not giving children pesticides and waiting to see what happens - they are trying to find out what the pesticides already in their food and environment are doing to them. If they find that kids with high amounts of one pesticide in them get a certain illness, then they can make moves to get rid of that pesticide. How can that be immoral ?

I was trying to say its very different to animal experimentation and the original test for the smallpox vaccine which was done on a healthy child who was then infected with smallpox deliberately. But nowdays we consider the latter to be wrong and respectable organisations wouldn't even think of doing that. The way the media have handled this one by quoting this senator and saying nothing more is just crazy.

As for animals, the vast majority that are used are raised specifically for medical testing. And for many of the experiments can't "render them unconscious" because that would influence the results, or in places like india and china they often just don't bother even when there is no reason not to - because it is seen as a waste of anaesthetics/money. And with many of the experiments it would not help the "cruelty" bit anyway. I realise the benefits it gives us and I don't agree with the people who go and damage the property of people and organisations that do testing. But I think it should be controlled far better than it is at present to minimise it to experiments where it is really necessary and where there is massive potential benefit. To let it happen regularly for say, a new drug that is not expected to have any significant advanatages over one already on the market, just so that pharma can get a slice of the profits for that indication, is not good enough IMO.

Its a difficult subject and I'm not going to go into that anymore here. But the fact remains the study that was cancelled here was not being cruel to anyone. Whats all the fuss about ? How can senators and environmental organisations get away with making accusations like that and all the press just report it as the truth ?

The only actual possible legitimate concern was that "low-income Floridians might continue to use pesticides -- which have been linked to neurological damage in children -- in their homes to qualify for the project. " All the rest is absolute nonsense and I'm disgusted with the way the press has covered this.

Simon
Subject Author Posted

Can You Believe This?

MoonDog April 11, 2005 07:20PM

Re: Can You Believe This?

laura April 12, 2005 02:10AM

Joanne April 12, 2005 09:51AM

Pete Clarke April 12, 2005 10:07AM

Jaded reality

Warwick L Nixon April 12, 2005 10:36AM

Re: Jaded reality

Pete Clarke April 13, 2005 03:30AM

Warwick L Nixon April 13, 2005 09:30AM

Pete Clarke April 13, 2005 10:44AM

Joanne April 13, 2005 01:31PM

Pete Clarke April 14, 2005 04:18AM

Warwick L Nixon April 14, 2005 09:06AM

Joanne April 12, 2005 12:26PM

MoonDog April 12, 2005 11:44AM

Warwick L Nixon April 12, 2005 12:45PM

You Can Believe This!!

MoonDog April 13, 2005 01:57AM

Simon April 15, 2005 08:02PM

MoonDog April 17, 2005 12:40PM

Simon April 17, 2005 03:05PM

MoonDog April 18, 2005 02:25AM

Simon April 18, 2005 04:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login