Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 2, 2024, 5:05 pm UTC    
Litz
September 09, 2001 01:04PM
<HTML>Hi Garrett,
What I was attempting to convey with my comment was based upon my own belief (factual knowledge?) that from a psychological standpoint the individual has to be the one to desire (choose) to change how they think or what they believe before they will actually incorporate the change into their psyche. Until that personal choice is made, no amount of proof, logic, etc. will *force* the individual into doing so... and even though to others that individual will appear to be *ignoring reality (the facts, the truth)* and will seem stupid, stubborn, etc., even the name calling will do nothing to elicit a positive result. If one accepts the above opinion (fact, as far as I'm concerned) of the psychological dynamics of humans, then one must question whether there would be any point in arguing with a devout Southern (USA) Christian over the accuracy of the Bible, or a scientist over the dangers of faith based conclusions, or a troubled spouse/relative over their troubled psyche resulting from insufficient closure with the deceased. As a further example of my point, I would in no way ever attempt to change the thinking of my strict Catholic aunt... she is happy with her life (worldview)... who am I to tell her that she needs to alter that happiness because it is not based upon what the scientific community calls factual science? And even if in some twisted way I did believe that it was my duty to *save* her from her own misconceptions (ie, that my worldview was the only accurate one, which I know better than to believe), hasn't her birth into humanity given her the right for free choice in what she chooses for final belief... whether I agree with her or not? Wouldn't it be arrogant of me to believe that all such people are just misguided fools with thinking capacities insufficient to understand that they are misguided fools? And finally, who am I to determine that their happiness in life (philosophy of life) has to be achieved thru my version of reality? Do I recognize the dangers when a majority of people follow a severely distorted version of reality? Of course. Do I recognize that sincere people are often victimized by insincere frauds, and that those on the *outside* have better perspective for recognizing the fraud and should feel some responsibility for addressing the issue? Of course. But do I want either fundamentalist Muslems or Bible Belt Christians telling me how to live my life because to them I am the one in need of directional help? That is all I meant by the can of worms... but perhaps a nest of wasps would be a better analogy... because best intentions can also result in negative outcomes for those who were intended to be *saved*.
In response to your specific questions, I do not know if any closure has been documented... it was simply mentioned as a posibility by the producers of the show I mentioned, and I sometimes felt like I was viewing a type of *body language* relief by some of the people (let's just leave this one as a personal opinionated observation).
As to the skeptic's true motive, the reasons will be as varied as the skeptics, including your well intentioned motivation... however, to think mankind will ever completely eradicate dishonesty/fraud is an illogically based motivation (imho). I have no trouble with the idea of trying to maintain an equilibrium however.
As to the morality of the trickery for the purpose of making a living... do I need say anything more than the fact that it has always been next to impossible to define morality in any capitalistic terms... the psychic frauds are far from the only tricksters out there!!!
Always enjoyable to communicate with others on such ideas. Thanks for the chance.
Litz</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

John Edward

Mikey Brass September 07, 2001 05:39PM

Re: John Edward

Anthony September 07, 2001 06:00PM

Mikey Brass September 07, 2001 06:09PM

Anthony September 07, 2001 09:27PM

J.H.v.d.Laar September 07, 2001 10:48PM

Correction

Anthony September 07, 2001 09:28PM

Re: Correction

ISHMAEL September 09, 2001 01:53AM

Garrett September 09, 2001 09:01AM

Peter VanderZwet September 08, 2001 05:22AM

Jason September 08, 2001 07:18AM

Peter VanderZwet September 08, 2001 10:56AM

Jason September 08, 2001 04:58PM

Litz September 08, 2001 11:08PM

Peter VanderZwet September 09, 2001 06:23AM

Garrett September 09, 2001 09:07AM

Litz September 09, 2001 01:04PM

Garrett Fagan September 10, 2001 12:13PM

Garrett Fagan September 10, 2001 12:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login