Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 29, 2024, 11:19 am UTC    
June 15, 2023 10:27AM
I think that if one were to go with the strict definition of the word "carve" - meaning "to make something by cutting into especially wood or stone, or to cut into the surface of stone, wood" - then it is fine. However, as I mentioned before, "carve" can have an association with art within a common psyche, i.e. carving a statue, or carving a wooded totem pole, and so when when using "carve" within the context of an archaeological artefact, especially when used in popular media for the general public, it can implant the idea into the mind that what was found was artistic or decorative, and not something utilitarian.

Certainly when I had read the head lines and articles I had thought of some carved artistic, shamanistic or totemic object. Indeed, before I had found the Historical England site, any images of the wood I seen were not actually showing "intentional cuts" and so I was left looking for the carved image, perhaps some rudimentary anthropomorphic thing. Indeed, I thought that I could make out a face, which the skeptic in me (rightly) dismissed as pareidolia as I could not discern how anyone could see it as being deliberately made.

So that is why, personally, I think using the more prosaic "intentional cut marks" phrasing is better than saying carved.

The real, and interesting question of course is what was the intention of the cut marks, and are they actually decorative, symbolic or utilitarian?

Jonny

The path to good scholarship is paved with imagined patterns. - David M Raup
Subject Author Posted

Boxford wood carving is 6,000 years old

Hermione June 07, 2023 03:22AM

Re: Boxford wood carving is 6,000 years old

Hermione June 07, 2023 03:25AM

Byrd June 07, 2023 07:46PM

Ahatmose June 09, 2023 01:53PM

Hermione June 10, 2023 10:40AM

JonnyMcA June 14, 2023 08:52AM

Hermione June 14, 2023 10:22AM

JonnyMcA June 15, 2023 10:27AM

Hermione June 15, 2023 11:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login