Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 5, 2024, 11:15 pm UTC    
Alex Bourdeau
August 24, 2001 06:02PM
<HTML>Claire,

I'll second the comments by Garrett, Mikey, Martin and John (sounds like members of a rock group [oops, sorry]). But would like to add a final note -it doesn't matter what kind of scientist does the science, what matters is their methodology - will it ask the right kind of data to answer the right question.

During my debate with Colin, we came to the conclusion that to settle this there were a number of lines of investigation we could follow. We discovered that some of the data we wanted was available (mostly weather records and current environmental conditions in the Sphinx enclosure). However, no one has looked at this data while doing research designed to determine the "prime mover" of particulates/cements from the limestone. In other words, the people who had collected the data were trying to answer the "wrong" questions.

Colin and I also agreed that additional data would be required - mostly on the details about the nature of the limestone itself.
Questions like: How much and what kinds of salts are present? We also decided that some real life modelling would be useful - exposing samples of the limestone to cycles of wetting/drying. Colin is curious about how groundwater moves at Giza. Installing a peizometer or two (actually - the more the merrier) would generate this kind of data.

What I'm getting at here is that right now we have no numbers to crunch (at least the geologists don't - IV Dynasty pottery sherds ARE data). Once we have numbers, then we get away from "looks like" arguments. We'll know (or can predict through chemical analysis) what rain splash does to the rock by measuring the amount of limestone it removes (or would be expected to remove) over a given period of time. We'll know what SCrySIE does using the same methods. Same for sheetwash. There is no limit to the amount of data we can collect - as long as someone is willing to pay for it (and the Egyptian authorities give their blessing to the field methods). Until this kind of data is collected and interpreted, we are all essentially blowing smoke.

And this is really where Colin and I left it - I'm not convinced by his smoke and he's not convinced by others' smoke that I collected. He's trying to generate enough interest in this subject to put together a field trip (data collection) to Giza. Wish him luck and offer your support. It will surely be more productive than Bauval's dog and pony show.</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

JAW and the 'hardness' of geology

Claire August 24, 2001 04:54AM

Re: JAW and the 'hardness' of geology

John Wall August 24, 2001 06:06AM

Mikey Brass August 24, 2001 07:02AM

JoeRoyle August 24, 2001 07:52AM

Mikey Brass August 24, 2001 11:54AM

Mikey Brass August 24, 2001 06:20AM

Martin Stower August 24, 2001 06:51AM

Claire August 24, 2001 07:48AM

Martin Stower August 24, 2001 03:42PM

Claire August 24, 2001 04:28PM

Martin Stower August 24, 2001 04:32PM

Claire August 24, 2001 04:51PM

Don Holeman August 24, 2001 09:57AM

John Wall August 24, 2001 10:06AM

Garrett Fagan August 24, 2001 11:28AM

Claire August 24, 2001 01:19PM

Mikey Brass August 24, 2001 01:27PM

Claire August 24, 2001 01:58PM

Mikey Brass August 24, 2001 04:19PM

Claire August 24, 2001 04:29PM

Garrett August 24, 2001 07:45PM

Alex Bourdeau August 24, 2001 06:02PM

Garrett August 25, 2001 12:11PM

John August 25, 2001 12:38PM

Martin Stower August 25, 2001 04:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login