Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 3, 2024, 2:45 pm UTC    
January 15, 2011 03:58PM
The list of famous people seemingly inspired by Smyth goes on and on. Prof Petrie, Prof? Edgar, Prof Mendelssohn...

Even Dr Edwards CBE finished his book 'The Pyramids of Egypt' with a sentence on Piazzi Smyth. Perhaps there was a worrying doubt at the back of his mind that there might be a grain of truth in Piazzi Smyth's theory.

I borrowed a copy of Mendelssohn's book 'The Riddle of the Pyramids' about 7 years ago. An Egyptologist told me that it didn't reflect the views of Egyptologists. I thought the book good enough to buy at £4.00 second hand.

I did not find any amazing theory in the book, but I am not surprised it was a best-seller: a good title, well written, thoroughly researched in Egypt, help from distinguished scholars, thought provoking ideas, clear illustrations, and his own core theory as a distinguished scientist.

Rather cleverly, he stood on the fence with respect to the pi theory, initially stating:
'In spite of brilliant constructional skill and superb workmanship, we have no evidence that the Egyptians of the Old Kingdom had more than the the most rudimentary command of mathematics.'

But then he went on to share an idea (not his idea) that the shape of the Great Pyramid conforms to the pi shape because measurements were set out by rolling a drum. This idea is nicely illustrated, and disarming in its simplicity.

Mendelssohn was seemingly aware of the shift away from Smyth / Petrie on the pi shape of the Great Pyramid, but also understood that the abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence.

The core theory, or the theory that made a lasting impression on me, was that the pyramid at Meidum collapsed during construction. It was not an amazing mathematical /astronomical theory - my post was in the context of Don Barone's theories.

I accept that if Piazzi Smyth invented such an amazing theory then someone-else could do the same, but it is my contention that nobody ever has. Mendlelssohn referred to a popular book building on Smyth's work as follows:
'This trite nonsense is a far cry from the master's spirited and entertaining writing.'

If there is anything in pyramid numbers then it may be cycles of time, not as Piazzi Smyth's 365.242 etc, but as perceived in ancient Egypt, and as the link between the tomb of the king and his celestial after-life.

I agree with you on OCT.

I don't know what you mean by Rooseveldt Road - I should, perhaps, have looked this up before I started this reply.

Mark

Subject Author Posted

Geometric Oddities of Our Solar System

Don Barone January 12, 2011 06:48PM

Re: Geometric Oddities of Our Solar System

Don Barone January 12, 2011 11:14PM

You can run but you can not hide.

Don Barone January 13, 2011 08:47AM

Re: You can run but you can not hide.

Hermione January 13, 2011 09:18AM

Re: You can run but you can not hide.

Don Barone January 13, 2011 01:31PM

Re: Comparison with Piazzi Smyth's theory / OCT

Mark Heaton January 15, 2011 10:28AM

Warwick L Nixon January 15, 2011 01:56PM

Re: Mendelssohn's theory

Mark Heaton January 15, 2011 03:58PM

Warwick L Nixon January 15, 2011 04:10PM

Mark Heaton January 15, 2011 05:10PM

Ogygos January 15, 2011 05:25PM

Re: OCT is still number one

Mark Heaton January 16, 2011 08:42AM

Ogygos January 18, 2011 10:07AM

Don Barone January 19, 2011 01:31AM

Hermione January 19, 2011 06:27PM

Don Barone January 15, 2011 08:15PM

Don Barone January 15, 2011 08:20PM

Re: Proving a mathematical theory of G1 or G1,G2,G3.

Mark Heaton January 16, 2011 11:57AM

Re: Proving a mathematical theory of G1 or G1,G2,G3.

Warwick L Nixon January 16, 2011 04:28PM

Don Barone January 17, 2011 06:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login