Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 27, 2024, 1:52 am UTC    
December 26, 2021 06:34AM
Patrice Pouillard's article, and recent YouTube videos, has already been mentioned in another thread here - [www.maatforum.com]

Amongst the series of recent videos is this one:

BACK TO BUILDERS OF THE ANCIENT MYSTERIES (BAM) [www.youtube.com] (autumn 2021)

It includes a description of attempts made to find evidence for the proposal that the pyramids were not tombs ( [youtu.be] ):

(38:22) Remember this old controversy reported by Pliny the Elder mentioned in the previous films: the twelve authors who disagreed on the function of these pyramids. History only remembers the writings of ... Herodotus ... who first said ... the Great Pyramid was the tomb of Khufu.

... unfortunately, none of the eleven other writings remain. This is another reminder that history is based on sources, and, in this case, they're no longer in existence. The result is a biased view based on the thinking of these ancient authors, an assumption that it was always thought that the Great Pyramid was a tomb: but that is now questioned by various researchers.

So the 2021 BAM video here proposes that, if the eleven authors mentioned by Pliny had not been "lost," they might have been found to express opinions to the effect that the pyramids were not in fact thought of in antiquity as tombs.

Back in 2013, Irna wrote the following article - [irna.fr] - which contained some comments on the question of the eleven lost authors discussed in Grimault's film (NB: the link to the section of the video that discusses Herodotus can now be found here: [youtu.be] ]:

The Pliny extract ... comes from book XXXVI in the Natural History entitled "Dealing with the natural history of stones". So what was it that Jacques Grimault found of particular interest in this excerpt?

(1h 00 min 28s) Who, for example, has heard of the 2,000- year-old controversy reported by the Roman historian Pliny the Elder concerning the builders of the pyramids? Twelve leading writers of his time were unable to agree on the identity of the builders. But how many texts by those twelve authors survive today? Only one: that of Herodotus, on which Egyptology is so heavily reliant.

This passage reveals many wild surmises – read, completely unsubstantiated assumptions – on M. Grimault’s part:

– The "controversy" mentioned by Pliny the Elder concerns the names of the kings for whom the pyramids were built. Contrary to Jacques Grimault’s assertion, neither Pliny, nor any other ancient author, was in any doubt that the pyramids were built by the Egyptians ... And there is nothing in Pliny’s text referring to any "controversy", since all he says is that (XVII):

The authors who have written about them [ … ] are not all agreed as to which kings were responsible for their construction, since chance, with the greatest justice, has caused those who inspired such a mighty display of vanity to be forgotten."

This suggests, not a disagreement between the authors cited, but simply their ignorance of the names of the kings responsible for constructing the pyramids.

– Apart from the eleven missing authors, we do have texts by other ancient authors, Greek and Roman. Besides Herodotus and Pliny, we may mention Manetho, Diodorus, Strabo, Plutarch, Ptolemy, Ammianus, Horapollo ... Even though several of them rely on Herodotus, they also use other sources that have now either completely or largely disappeared: Agatharchides of Knidos (to be discussed below), Artemidorus of Ephesus, Hecataeus of Abdera, Eudoxus of Cnidus , Chaeremon of Alexandria. Furthermore, also almost all of these authors either visited Egypt in person, or, like Ptolemy, were even born there.

– The idea that Egyptology "is heavily reliant" on Herodotus reveals a readiness to downplay, or even completely ignore, the wealth of knowledge amassed by modern Egyptology.

So the BAM video merely rephrases a segment of Grimault's 2013 "Revelations of the Pyramids" without making any attempt to address the objections raised in Irna's article.

It seems that, like the Bourbon kings, Pouillard and his colleagues have learned nothing and forgotten nothing ...

Hermione
Director/Moderator - The Hall of Ma'at

Rules and Guidelines

hallofmaatforum@proton.me
Subject Author Posted

I'll sing you the eleven who went to heaven

Hermione December 26, 2021 06:34AM

Re: I'll sing you the eleven who went to heaven

cladking December 26, 2021 07:35PM

Yawn

Hans December 27, 2021 12:45AM

Hermione December 27, 2021 06:37AM

Hans December 27, 2021 11:09AM

cladking December 27, 2021 11:25AM

Hans December 27, 2021 11:32AM

Hermione December 27, 2021 11:39AM

Hans December 27, 2021 11:49AM

Hermione December 27, 2021 12:15PM

Hans December 27, 2021 12:22PM

cladking December 27, 2021 11:52AM

I don't think so

Hans December 27, 2021 12:01PM

cladking December 27, 2021 11:10AM

Look up the word disingenuous Cladking

Hans December 27, 2021 11:16AM

Hermione December 27, 2021 11:57AM

Hans December 27, 2021 12:05PM

cladking December 27, 2021 03:30PM

Learn how to read the ancient Egyptian language Cladking

Hans December 27, 2021 08:17PM

Cladking you really don't know anything about this subject do you?

Hans December 27, 2021 11:45AM

Re: Cladking you really don't know anything about this subject do you?

cladking December 27, 2021 03:47PM

Joseph's Granaries ....

Hermione December 27, 2021 06:01PM

Re: Joseph's Granaries ....

Hans December 27, 2021 08:19PM

cladking December 27, 2021 08:49PM

Hans December 27, 2021 11:22PM

Re: Cladking you really don't know anything about this subject do you?

Hans December 27, 2021 08:13PM

Later European writers on the pyramids as tombs

Hans December 27, 2021 11:56AM

Re: Later European writers on the pyramids as tombs

cladking December 27, 2021 04:03PM

Re: Later European writers on the pyramids as tombs

Hans December 27, 2021 08:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login