Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 4, 2024, 9:01 pm UTC    
August 04, 2007 07:43AM
RLH: "Unlike having a long pipe or a hollowed out tree trunk to use like a kind of sighting device. The GP shafts are constructed by stacking channeled out stones one on top of the other. By design to assemble these stones you would need to start at the lowest position and build up at an angle."

The predetermined angle can be 'fixed' as a wooden frame or 'template' and together with a plumb line, used to check the angle of the shafts as they built them.

RLH: "This also means you would need to be at the bottom and sighting up at the desired star as you stacked one block on top of the previous one. This causes a problem because the first block is actually the wall of the chamber and it runs horizontal for several feet. This means they could only sight horizontally and not up at the desired angle of the star. To eliminate this problem then the walls of chamber must not be there."

No need to eliminate any problem as the sighting to the star to measure the altitude could have been done beforehand.

RLH: "It’s my opinion that to build the pyramid in this manner would be a nightmare. To build the shafts first then come back and install the chamber walls and all the stones above it would be a daunting task. I’m not saying it would be impossible but highly unlikely in my mind."

Of course its highly unlikely, so why even consider this method?

RLH: "So where does that leave us? Well they could of just measured the angle of the stars and built the shafts in a symbolic fashion to point generally at the desired star."

Whoooo hold you horses. "......in a symbolic fashion?".

What is symbolic about determining the altitude of star or star pattern due north or south, and then using the angle to build the shafts? Isn't it obvious that the altitude of a star / star pattern is predetermined before the shafts are designed? There are many simple ways to determine the altitude of a star and then use this angle to build the shafts.

Its possible that as they approached the last 10 - 15m, they temporarily left out some blocks to enable the masons to check the angle of the shaft with a final sighting to the relevant star / asterism.

I already gave some info here: [www.hallofmaat.com]

CT
Subject Author Posted

Air-Shafts

RLH August 03, 2007 07:51PM

Re: Air-Shafts

Chris Tedder August 04, 2007 07:43AM

RLH August 04, 2007 11:47AM

Chris Tedder August 04, 2007 03:45PM

Ronald August 05, 2007 02:45AM

RLH August 05, 2007 05:18PM

Anthony August 05, 2007 08:28PM

Chris Tedder August 06, 2007 11:25AM

Internal contradictions

Anthony August 06, 2007 11:31AM

Re: Internal contradictions

Chris Tedder August 06, 2007 01:46PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login