Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 4, 2024, 10:10 pm UTC    
July 31, 2007 10:32AM
"Isis likewise, being interpreted, signifies antient, that name being ascribed to the moon from eternal generations. They add, likewise, to her, horns, because her aspect is such in her increase, and in her decrease, representing a sickle; and because an ox, among the Egyptians, is offered to her in sacrifice."
"Isis found oat the way of making of bread of wheat and barley, which before grew here and there in the fields, amongst other common herbs and grass"
"for even at this day, in the time of harvest, the inhabitants offer the first fruits of the ears of corn, howling and wailing about the handfuls they offer, and invoking this goddess Isis: and this they do in return of due honour to her for that invention at the first. In some cities also, when they celebrate the feast of Isis, in a pompous procession, they carry about vessels of wheat and barley, in memory of the first invention, by the care and -iudustry of this goddess. They say, likewise, that lsis made many laws for the good of human society, whereby men were restrained from lawless force and violence one upon another, out of fear of punishment. And therefore Ceres was called by the ancient Greeks, Themophorus, that is, lawgiver, being the princess that first constituted laws for the better govern* ment of her people."
"after the death of Osiris, Isis made a vow never to marry any other man, and spent the rest of her days in an exact ad¬ministration of justice among her subjects, excelling all other princes in her acts of grace and bounty towards her own people; and therefore, after her death, she was numbered among the gods, and, as such, had divine honour and veneration, and was buried at Memphis, where they shew her sepulchre at this day in the grove of Vulcan."
"Yet there are some that deny that these gods arc buried at Mem¬phis; but near the mountains of Ethiopia, and Egypt, in the isle of Nile, lying near to a place called Philas, and upon that account also named the Holy Field. They confirm this by undoubted signs and marks left in this island, as by a sepulchre built and erected to Osiris, religiously reverenced by all the priests of Egypt, wherein are laid up three hundred and threescore bowls, which certain priests appointed for that purpose, fill every day with milk, and call upon the Gods by name, with mourning and lamentation. For that cause none go into the island but priests. The inhabitants of Thebes (which is the most ancient city of Egypt) account it a great oath, and by no means to be violated, if a man swear by Osiris that lies buried at Philas."
"They report likewise, that Perseus was born in Egypt, and that the Grecians have transferred from thence the birth of Isis into Argos, inventing a story that she Was the same with Io, who was metamorphosed into a bull. And indeed there are great differences and disputes concerning these gods: for some call the same goddess Isis, others call her Ceres; some Thesmophorus, others Luna, others Juno, and some by all these names."
"The Egyptians report that Isis found out many medicines for the recovery of men's health, being very expert in the art of physic, and contrived many remedies for that purpose; and therefore even now when she is advanced to an immortal state, she takes pleasure in curing men's bodies; and to those that desire her assistance, in their sleep she clearly manifests her presence, and affords ready and effectual relief to them that stand in need of it."
"It was a law likewise (they say) in Egypt, against the custom of all other nations, that brothers and sisters might marry one with . another, which accordingly was prosperous and successful in the marriage of Isis, who married her brother Osiris, and after his death made a vow never to marry any other man; and after she had re-venged her husband's death upon his murderers, she governed the kingdom, and reigned justly all her days; and did good universally to all sorts of people, obliging them with many and extraordinary benefits and advantages. And for her sake it is a custom among them, that they honour a queen, and allow her more power and au-thority than a king: and in their contracts of marriage authority is given to the wife over her husband, at which time the husbands promise to be obedient to their wives in all things."
"sepulchres are at Nysa in Arabia[Tharo?]; whence Dionysius is called Nysaeus; there they say is a pillar erected to each of the deities with inscriptions of sacred letters upon them; in one of which, that belonging to Isis, are these words :
"I am Isis, queen of all this country, the scholar of Mercury [Thoth?]: what laws I have made, none ought to disannul. I am the eldest daughter of the youngest god, Saturn [Geb?]. I am the wife and sister of king Osiris. I am she that first found out corn for man's use. I am the mother of king Orus. I am she that arises in the dog-star. The city Bubastus was built in memory of me. Farewell, rejoice O Egypt that was my nurse, that brought me up."
"But some say, that the members of Osiris, (who was killed by Typhon), were thrown by Isis into an ox made of wood, covered with ox-hides, and from thence the city Busiris was so called."
"and therefore in celebrating the feast of Isis, dogs lead the way in the procession."
"But however, it is lawful to sacrifice red oxen, because Typhoo seemed to be of that colour, who treacherously murdered Osiris* and was himself put to death by Isis, for the murder of her husband; They report likewise, that antiently men that had red hair, like Typhon, were sacrificed by the kings at the sepulchre of Osiris. And indeed, there are very few Egyptians that are red, but many that are strangers: and hence arose the fable of Busiris's cruelty towards stran¬gers amongst the Greeks, not that there ever was any king called Busi-ris; but Osiris's sepulchre was so called in the Egyptian language* They say, they pay divine honour to wolves, because they come so near in their nature to dogs, for they are very little different, and mutually engender and bring forth whelps." -- Diodorus Book 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2007 10:33AM by rich.
Subject Author Posted

Egyptian God of the Week -- Isis

rich July 30, 2007 10:44PM

Re: Egyptian God of the Week -- Isis

rich July 31, 2007 09:47AM

rich July 31, 2007 10:32AM

Hermione July 31, 2007 10:38AM

rich July 31, 2007 11:49AM

rich August 02, 2007 10:47PM

cladking August 02, 2007 11:27PM

Katherine Griffis-Greenberg July 31, 2007 12:21PM

rich July 31, 2007 01:30PM

Katherine Griffis-Greenberg July 31, 2007 11:48PM

Mihos August 01, 2007 03:18PM

cladking August 01, 2007 04:21PM

Mihos August 01, 2007 04:25PM

Doug M July 31, 2007 08:01PM

Mihos July 31, 2007 01:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login