Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 8, 2024, 11:37 am UTC    
May 26, 2005 08:52PM
Hi Tommi

Its not about that so much, its that things are discussed where new age beliefs are "on topic", and ancient beliefs of people are "on topic", but my opinion on either is "off topic" simply because I have come to the strange place where my deepest understanding of things is seen as equivalent to young earth creationism (or whatever tele-evangelist needy fool has power to influence an adolescent society so much).

More than that, the views of young earth creationsists can be discussed till the sun comes down, but my middle ground between science and true religion is off topic because its "personal belief". On the other hand everyone elses opinion, including crazy nonsense speakers of their own personal and individual beliefs that are not deemed "personal beliefs", are free to express their beliefs - as it would be impolite (applogies to all the nice and happy and friendly people who would prefer that to be "unpolite") to say their views are a load of "rubbish".

And more still. Kat has always been someone I respected and bent backwards to appreciate the way she dealt with the difficulties me skirting around my views caused. But in saying this;

You say you are a spritual man ... guided by God .... maybe you should check and see how that God and the Bible tell you to behave to your fellow man

...she has lost some of that respect. Its patronising and shows an adolescent understanding of why I get angry with people like WG (yet still give them time to try and explain why). Its like shouting at someone running into a road when a 10 tonne truck is comming towards them, and getting heckled for being rude to that person.

I like discussing things with many of the people here. There are many I have learnt from and many I respect even though there are fundamental points I disagree on. I don't want to go on about god and the bible all the time. If I did there are plenty of boards for that I would have spent my time on. But I'll not be censored so that my hands are tied behind my back in a discussion where my views are directly relevant, but I am unable to express them just because they are considered "off topic".

I'd be fine if it was just leaving politics out of it. After all most people are ignorant of politics here anyway and follow whatever their particular chosen source of information dictates. Have you ever wondered why so few actual historians choose to post here ? There are a few real historians and thinkers here who can read the times - but most interpret it all in terms of their personal circumstances rather than any historical or philosophical or even economic basis. I'm happy to discuss that elsewhere like I do here for example -> [phorum.internalspace.co.uk]

But I'm not going to walk on egg shells when people are talking pure vogon. Why be polite when that only reinforces their own opinion that they are full of the wisdom of Solomon ? I would be (and am) rude to my best friends and those I love if I thought they where talking excretus torus. So I find it hard to justify to myself spending the precious free hours we are given on earth humouring ignorance.

I hope thats at least a partial explanation to yourself, Pete C & V, Bernard, Stephen, Joanne, Anton and all the others I have enjoyed discussions with and learnt from.

Life really is too short to waste on environments that stifle free discussion through confined dictate rather than reasoned and direct debate. I actually have plenty of time for WirelessGuru and have proven as much by the hours I have spent telling him he is full of it and why. And I like that aspect of this board. But since the new moderators have come on board and played with their meaningless power less ably than children would, its become a place of superficial community rather than meaningfull search for truth in a fun and living environment.

So I'll stay expressing my often ignorant opinions, and posting news I find interesting, at [phorum.internalspace.co.uk] . And if no one is interested in discussing things where only the desire to learn about the mysteries of life and the universe, and the ability to express what you have learned in a reasonable way , then I will close it. With the LHC coming online soon and more incredible understanding of the evolution and colonisation of the various Sapiens coming into reach, I'd love to discuss such things with the people here. But I'm not going to dance for a community that has one rule for people that believe in the little things and the people that believe in plain excretus, and another for those that hold a foundation stone as that upon which all else rests.

Its not scientific and its the kind of censorship that Maat herself would find shamefull.

Yours in sincerity

Simon

Subject Author Posted

New definition of "science"

Lee May 16, 2005 10:00AM

Re: New definition of "science"

Pete Clarke May 16, 2005 10:23AM

wirelessguru1 May 16, 2005 11:28AM

wirelessguru1 May 16, 2005 11:39AM

How insulting.

Anthony May 17, 2005 05:35PM

Re: How insulting.

Simon May 17, 2005 09:02PM

Simon ....

Katherine Reece May 17, 2005 10:07PM

Re: Simon ....

Stephanie May 17, 2005 11:08PM

Pete Clarke May 18, 2005 03:01AM

wirelessguru1 May 18, 2005 11:12AM

Apology

Pete Clarke May 19, 2005 03:05AM

Re: Apology

Stephanie May 19, 2005 11:07AM

Re: Apology

Ritva Kurittu May 19, 2005 12:44PM

Stephanie May 18, 2005 12:10PM

Ritva Kurittu May 18, 2005 01:17PM

wirelessguru1 May 18, 2005 02:23PM

Ritva Kurittu May 18, 2005 02:53PM

wirelessguru1 May 18, 2005 03:07PM

Ritva Kurittu May 19, 2005 09:54AM

Pete Clarke May 19, 2005 10:53AM

wirelessguru1 May 19, 2005 06:31PM

Tommi Huhtamaki May 18, 2005 04:28PM

Tommi Huhtamaki May 18, 2005 05:00PM

wirelessguru1 May 18, 2005 05:15PM

Simon May 26, 2005 08:52PM

wirelessguru1 May 26, 2005 09:46PM

Simon May 26, 2005 09:58PM

Katherine Reece May 26, 2005 10:19PM

Context ... and a PS to Simon

Katherine Reece May 26, 2005 10:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.