Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 18, 2024, 7:36 pm UTC    
September 18, 2005 09:37AM
" It is really hard to emphasize how strong and serious the taboos are in discussing skinwalkers among the Navajo. "

probably the same as the intimate privacy of the RC confessional??

"...The crowds that the fair draws are immense and this artist chose to display a painting that would completely smash the taboos in front of thousands of Navajo.

So, I was unable to see the painting--it was gone. Hopefully, it makes a reappearance somewhere. "

But keeping the integreity of the Navajo in mind..surely it would be best if the painting Doesn't resurface??

Amongst the Haida/Kwakuitl/Tlingit there are many masks that are not Supposed to be viewed outside of the Dance, and many more that are not to be reproduced without explicit release by the holders of those rights. There are a number of Masks that I would love to have a go at but I would never go against the beliefs and mores of those who claim the rights involved. on the other hand I have been ceded permission to execute some images that even Some Native carvers areconstrained from duplicating by those same mores.

another example is the Haida insistence that Only Haida be allowed to carve argelite. That particular more is one that doesn't bother me though. carving argelite is the extreme of 'perilous'( subject to breaking cracking etc) carving.

Warwick

warwick

" I have always found that the main obstacle to free
association on these boards is the broad
misconception that what we do not know is more
significant than what we do know."

Warwick L Nixon, March 8, 2019
Subject Author Posted

Skinwalker Painting Causes a Stir

Stephanie September 10, 2005 12:05AM

Re: Skinwalker Painting Causes a Stir

Hermione September 10, 2005 06:02AM

Stephanie September 11, 2005 12:13PM

Hermione September 10, 2005 11:28AM

Stephanie September 11, 2005 12:45PM

Warwick L Nixon September 18, 2005 09:37AM

Stephanie September 18, 2005 01:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login