Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 18, 2024, 8:04 pm UTC    
August 22, 2005 03:07PM
Ooo, I can tell you how fry bread began. The tribes were given flour by the Spaniards from what I've been told. They didn't know what to do with it, never having used it before but they ended up making their own simple version of a sopapilla. Gramms (my maternal grandmother-in-law) is a phenomenal fry bread maker (as well as making wonderful tortillas and naniscotti--no clue how to spell that). It is, however, atrocious for the health.

Really good fry bread is made with blue bird flour (if you use a better flour, it comes out odd) and is cooked in lard. Raises a person's cholesterol just thinking about it. To add to it, the Navajo put a couple burger patties on it and fold it in half to make the greasiest concoction known to mankind, the Navajo burger (but it's good!). A slightly healthier meal is the Navajo taco, which has beans, beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and chiles on it.

I enjoy a good fry bread now and then but I'd have to agree that it is a serious hazard. My husband will see consultants from various firms come out here to work and gain about 20-30 lbs from fry bread and navajo burger addictions. No kidding! He's refused to take me to a particuliarly well known food stand in Window Rock, called Pinky's--for fear of me gaining a ton of weight!

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Icon or hazard? The great debate over fry bread

Katherine Reece August 21, 2005 10:55AM

Re: Icon or hazard? The great debate over fry bread

Sue August 21, 2005 05:27PM

Stephanie August 22, 2005 03:07PM

Fry Bread Forever, I agree!

kenuchelover August 24, 2005 02:57PM

Re: Fry Bread Forever, I agree!

Stephanie August 25, 2005 10:17AM

Doug Weller August 25, 2005 01:22PM

Stephanie August 25, 2005 01:59PM

Doug Weller August 25, 2005 04:18PM

Stephanie August 25, 2005 04:47PM

kenuchelover August 30, 2005 12:31PM

Stephanie August 30, 2005 01:40PM

Voltaire September 19, 2005 08:17PM

Stephanie September 20, 2005 11:12AM

Stephanie October 06, 2005 01:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login