Authors
Web Links

May 5, 2024, 10:01 pm UTC    
March 03, 2005 01:44PM
Voleur_Garcon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ya'at'eeh again!

Ya'at'eeh!

> I am also a Many Goats born for the "H" clan.
> Funny thing is my girlfriend is also somewhat
> "irish"...

Hey, we're related. smiling smiley My husband has been seeing alot of blonde woman/navajo couples out here. He makes jokes about how it's the latest thing, lol.

>
> It was funny and quite errie. Not that long after
> I posted that message. My girlfriend and I were
> talking about skinwalkers. I had read her a story
> on paranormal.about.com about skinwalkers.
> Basically, a skinwalker followed a family of
> bilagaanas near Kayenta. And at the end of the
> story they asked why they were being followed by
> them. A friend explained to them that they were
> somewhat "powerful" and wanted that power but
> couldn't touch them. That's the question my
> girlfriend asked me. Also she asked, Why did they
> follow them since they were non-natives?

I was the one that saw our skinwalker and I was the only one outside at the time. For this reason, some of my inlaws felt that it was visiting us because of me for whatever reason it may have had. I know based on the many stories that I have heard that the incidents are certainly not isolated to Navajo only. Caucasian teachers, doctors, nurses and etc living on the reservation have also been visited as well. Why, I don't know. Obviously these people have something about them that either a. interest the skinwalkers or b. interested somebody to perhaps "hire" one against them. My uncle has also said that skinwalkers will pursue something that they covet for themselves. Whether it is power or whatever, who knows. We'd have to ask one, I think.
>
> The reason she asked me these questions were
> because when she was smaller, around 9 1/2 yrs
> old, she was visited by a spirit, a small navajo
> boy, and told her how the family died in the house
> she was living in. The spirit also told her where
> the family was buried WITHIN the house. The
> spirit told her that he'd been there for 20 yrs.

The spirit world is something else for the Navajo. They have very stringent beliefs in regards to how to deal with the dead. For a family to have been buried in a house and that house still being lived in, it would be just asking for trouble through spirit attachment to a living person. Our home on the reservation was on old Anasazi grounds. According to our medicine man, an Anasazi spirit attached itself to us and followed us to our next place of residence. There is nothing quite like seeing a black shadowy THING in a bright sunlit room. This kind of thing would be faced with a high degree of skepticism outside of the reservation but on it, it would be pretty normal. Hence all the taboos about death.

>
> One afternoon a lady showed up and asked her
> questions. She asked her questions like she knew
> the answers for them. The lady was the
> grandmother of the spirit. The grandmother knew
> that my girlfriend knew about the things that
> happened because the grandmother was talking to
> the spirit's mother. In the coming years that she
> talked to the spirit it decided to give her
> something in return. At the same time, the same
> spirit was also following me. From talking about
> it, the spirit told her things about my childhood
> that I've never told her about but she already
> knew about it. Furthermore, she told me that the
> spirit is now with my son on the reservation with
> his so-called "mother" (Long story DON'T ASK! ).

It's funny but I don't find this unusual anymore at all. I have heard one too many stories about people on the reservation being bothered by a spirit that may follow other family members around. It's an entirely different world. I'm sorry about your son. I understand how that could happen considering tribal laws.
>
>
> Back to the skinwalkers dicussion, the spirit told
> my girlfriend about skinwalkers. How they act and
> behave and other things. The spirit pretty much
> explained the navajo way to her. The spirit also
> told her that the spirit's grandfather from his
> dad's side was a skinwalker but also believed in
> black magic. Now the grandfather, who's still
> alive, is after my girlfriend. The grandfather
> has approached my girlfriend as a skinwalker (when
> she decided to take a walk around 1 am in the
> morning close to an open, desert field and she saw
> him in the shadows) and also appears in her
> dreams chasing her. She's very much afraid of the
> dark and doesn't like to go out unless she's with
> someone. The spirit also told her that she would
> be safe when she meets me. For some reason the
> spirit already knew that we were suppose to be
> together. She's told me that the only time that
> the grandfather taunts her is when she's alone
> when I'm not around. *relaxes fingers*

I had really peculiar dreams as well when we were getting visited. I don't know if it was something that the skinwalker did or whether or not the extraordinary oddness of the situation was being played out in my mind while I slept as an attempt to reconcile it within myself. But I had very peculiar dreams at the time, all very Navajo. Tell your girlfriend to not take walks like that anymore, yikes! Again, the spirit world is something different entirely. The spirit that was in our home loved bugging me by rapping on windows. My daughter was 6 months old about that time and from day one, she was laughing and chattering at something that we couldn't see but her eyes were fixed upon. On the day that we "escaped" the house, it was incredibly active. Maybe coincidence but its activity peaked when my daughter started showing signs of grave illness. By that evening, she had pneumonia and the cause was the house itself (black mold infestation). We moved out, leaving everything behind, that night. I swear sometimes when I think about it that it seemed like this spirit was trying to get my attention to a developing problem. Some would probably call me crazy for saying that but all I can say is that it's different out there.

A few years ago, I would've probably viewed your girlfriend's stories with skepticism. However, after living with the Navajo, there is very little of what she has said that I haven't heard elsewhere before. There are so many ghost stories on the reservation. I sometimes wonder if the Navajo see the world as it really is and the rest of us are all deluding ourselves. If you all were living on the reservation, I'd suggest a medicine man.
>
> P.S. When she told me this I shook for no
> reason!
>
> P.S.S. When she told me somethings about my son's
> mother relationship she knew it like she was
> there. Even things that have happened recently
> that I never told her. When I wrote them down the
> earthquake happened! (The 4.6-4.7 magnitude
> halfway between Winslow and Payson around a
> quarter after 4am this morning)
>
> P.S.S.S. I'm still freaked out! Not only about
> what she told me but she knows more than I do
> about the navajo way and skinwalkers!...lol...

I have to admit that discussing skinwalkers has not been an entirely pleasant experience for me either. Most of the time, I get chilled and spooked just thinking about them because they are what they are. Experiencing any of these things can dramatically alter a person's viewpoint. I know that I am considerably a different person today than I was 5 years ago simply because my experiences on the Navajo reservation totally challenged everything I thought I knew. I think when you experience these things firsthand, you walk away, in some ways, with a better understanding of the Navajo than what would be normal for a perceived outsider. So many outside the reservation perceive it all as just superstition. I still have trouble at times with that myself. I don't see everything that happens is a response to skinwalker activity or even spiritual activity. But I also don't want to presume that there is no possibility that things can be completely different than my own perception. It's a different world. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have been looking at my backyard and noting disturbed earth back there, lol. It's a definitely altering experience.

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Skinwalker: Origins

Stephanie February 13, 2005 05:08PM

Re: Skinwalker: Origins

premalatha balan February 14, 2005 09:35AM

Stephanie February 14, 2005 12:35PM

premalatha balan February 14, 2005 12:40PM

premalatha balan February 14, 2005 12:40PM

Voleur_Garcon March 02, 2005 01:27AM

Stephanie March 02, 2005 03:00AM

Voleur_Garcon March 03, 2005 03:39AM

Stephanie March 03, 2005 01:44PM

Voleur_Garcon March 04, 2005 10:51PM

Stephanie March 13, 2005 01:05AM

Voleur_Garcon March 04, 2005 11:04PM

Stephanie March 13, 2005 01:07AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login