Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 3, 2024, 6:54 am UTC    
December 15, 2019 12:55PM
First the book must be old enough that any copyright has expired or as in this case the author never claimed copyright.

I scanned in all 411 pages, two at a time. I later regretted that decision when converting to MS Word. Next I processed the scanned images through ABBYY which did an amazing job converting the scans into text. There were several sections next to the spine that didn’t scan well and it required many hours to proof read and correct errors.

Next it was time to join all those text pages into one large document. MS Word provided endless frustration in this process by converting the text into some of the most ‘oddball’ fonts imaginable. Also if any pictures or text boxes were present Word just went crazy! There were also some minor issues in that Project Gutenburg does not want page numbers or indented paragraphs.

Now that the entire book was converted into one large Word document it was time to convert it to HTML. I have used SeaMonkey to convert Word into HTML on my website but the samples I submitted to Project Gutenburg were not acceptable. Therefore I just sent the entire Word document to the volunteers at Gutenburg so they could convert it to an acceptable HTML format.

Everything was going fine up until early July when one of the volunteers emailed me that he expected to have the book ready in about a week. Then I heard nothing for months. Finally in November I became worried that something had happened. It turns out that the volunteer had gotten busy on something else and then forgot about my project.

Finally, 10 months after I started scanning, Memory's Storehouse Unlocked (Sunshine and Roses) is available on Project Gutenburg.

"The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil"

-- Sheikh Zaki Yamani
Subject Author Posted

Memory's Storehouse Unlocked

AWSX December 15, 2019 12:46PM

Some notes on submitting to Project Gutenburg

AWSX December 15, 2019 12:55PM

Re: Some notes on submitting to Project Gutenburg

Hermione December 17, 2019 09:54AM

AWSX December 17, 2019 12:00PM

Hermione December 18, 2019 01:24PM

Re: Memory's Storehouse Unlocked

Hermione April 02, 2020 12:48PM

AWSX April 02, 2020 03:16PM

Hermione April 03, 2020 02:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login