John T. Bristow

PIONEER DAYS IN WETMORE
And Northeast Kansas

January - - 1948

WETMORE, KANSAS
and
FRESNO, CALIFORNIA
1005 Ferger Avenue

This 411 page book is a collection of articles that were published in the Wetmore Spectator while and after J.T. Bristow was editor. Bristow was one of the early settlers in the area (1865), before the town of Wetmore was founded and most of the articles deal with events in the latter half of the 19th century. The Overland trail, the Pony Express and a branch of the Union Pacific railroad ran through this area.

The author survived Confederate bushwhackers, prairie fires, rattlesnake bites, smallpox, a locust plague and a Texas steer that kept him treed for several hours. There are stories of Indian fights, murders, ghosts and a vigilante lynching.

I attempted to post the Llewellan Castle chapter on the thread about how people stayed warm in the 18th century. However Hermione was concerned about copyright so I scanned in the whole book and put it on Project Gutenburg. [www.gutenberg.org]

The Llewellan Castle chapter describes a failed colony attempt by a London company. It was established on a full section (640 acres) near the present town of Goff, Kansas. It was originally divided into 10 acre parcels which the Company thought would make viable farms. Six men were sent ahead to build housing but they only managed to build one eight room house during that first summer. They nearly froze to death the following winter. Even more tragic was the decision to send another man over late in the fall to build fences. That was an impossible task when the ground was frozen solid to a depth of 3 feet.

Bristow self published the book and sent copies to libraries and old friends so it is very rare. In fact my parent’s copy ‘disappeared’ from my mother’s house when she died. Some time later I found a copy for sale on the internet for $150.00.

"The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil"

-- Sheikh Zaki Yamani
Subject Author Posted

Memory's Storehouse Unlocked

AWSX December 15, 2019 12:46PM

Some notes on submitting to Project Gutenburg

AWSX December 15, 2019 12:55PM

Re: Some notes on submitting to Project Gutenburg

Hermione December 17, 2019 09:54AM

AWSX December 17, 2019 12:00PM

Hermione December 18, 2019 01:24PM

Re: Memory's Storehouse Unlocked

Hermione April 02, 2020 12:48PM

AWSX April 02, 2020 03:16PM

Hermione April 03, 2020 02:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login