Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 21, 2024, 1:48 pm UTC    
September 14, 2005 03:11PM
Argh, I hate living out in the middle of nowhere sometimes! We would never in a million years get Howl's Moving Castle out here. I am so jealous! We were lucky to be able to pick up DVD versions of the ones we have. Miyazaki's movies are so beautiful and I haven't seen an "ugly" anime yet. The depth and detail in each is just gorgeous and a feast for the eyes. Glad there's another Hayao Miyazaki fan around here!

My husband and I really try to watch Asian films in the original language, especially the animes. Asian voice actors put so much into their roles. Naruto, a very popular series in Japan, finally made it to US television last Saturday. We've watched the series and the movie in the original Japanese. It was almost a terrible disappointment to hear the dubbed voice for Naruto because it lacked so much of the passion that the original voice actor for the series conveyed. Iirc, Naruto's voice in the Japanese version is a 12 year old girl...go figure! Dubbing, itself, can be so awful and I really think it's unnecessary. My 9 year old son has no problems at all following the concepts and etc in Asian films. In fact, it's had the added benefit where he has actually picked up some words in japanese and repeats words with perfect execution. If he can "get it" at 9, then US film companies should take heed.

I haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers. As I said, we get a rather limited selection out here... Being anime buffs was so much easier for my husband and I when we both lived in cities! lol sad smiley

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Venice toasts Miyazaki, Asian film struggles abroad

Stephanie September 14, 2005 01:13AM

Re: Venice toasts Miyazaki, Asian film struggles abroad

Javier Velasquez September 14, 2005 12:32PM

Stephanie September 14, 2005 03:11PM

darkuser September 14, 2005 09:36PM

Stephanie September 14, 2005 10:42PM

darkuser September 14, 2005 08:39PM

Stephanie September 14, 2005 10:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login