Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 4, 2024, 9:21 pm UTC    
Sam
March 01, 2005 05:56AM
Recently I viewed and thoroughly enjoyed a disaster movie. What was unusual was that I obtained it in an unorthodox manner and had no preconceived notions. I hadn't even the slightest idea what it was about. Just plopped her in and let her rip. As a rule, I study reviews and ask about films in advance, for time is just too limited to waste on the many dog flicks produced annually. Later, I happened to see some reviews of this particular film, and found that most were negative. I then began to second guess my own assessment. It occurred to me that if I had seen so much negative feedback beforehand, I probably would not have watched the thing at all!

Of course there have been numerous films over time that got good reviews which I detested, but as a rule, the going trends I've agreed with. All told , I now begin to wonder are there other films out there which I could have enjoyed had I not set myself up not to like them b4 seeing them. Or was this just a freak exception?.

The film I am referring to is "The Day After Tomorrow". Not being a disaster movie buff per se, I wasn't really familiar with the "overused cliches" which many critics felt hobbled the film.The "bad" science I never really noticed. The only thing I thought bad during the time I watched it were the wolves, which looked totally fake. It could be that I just was in the mood for some mindless entertaimnent!

I would like to know what members here thought of this film, just for added perspective.

I also wonder about the benefits of repeating the scenario of watching a film without ever having heard of it or seeing any previews.
Subject Author Posted

The power of perception

Sam March 01, 2005 05:56AM

Re: The power of perception

Stephanie March 01, 2005 10:38AM

darkuser March 01, 2005 03:48PM

Anonymous User March 01, 2005 03:48PM

Sam March 01, 2005 07:50PM

Anonymous User March 02, 2005 12:10PM

Ritva Kurittu March 02, 2005 02:00PM

Ritva Kurittu March 02, 2005 02:01PM

Lee March 02, 2005 02:59PM

Ritva Kurittu March 02, 2005 03:04PM

Sam March 02, 2005 10:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login