May 3, 2024, 3:39 pm UTC    
Anonymous User
March 20, 2005 03:45PM
Joanne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Does anyone have any experience with
> this?
>

Sort of - and usually it goes horribly wrong!

I think a lot depends on what sort of jacket sleeve we're talking about, how difficult the material is to work with, and how expensive it was in the first place.

Last year, I shortened the sleeves on a lined jacket that I managed to get at a discount in a closing-down sale: but they were the sort of sleeves that ended in cuffs that went all the way around, so I just about managed with a bit of adroit doubling-over and hemming into place. I should have unpicked it and cut it, really, if I'd wanted to achieve the most professional effect - there is a SLIGHT amount of bulk there; but, on that particular jacket, you can't REALLY see anythng, and, for the small amount I paid initially, I don't think it would have been worth it ...

Anyway, in your case, unless it's a very expensive jacket (in which case I think I'd bite the bullet and get it done professionally), it might be best to try cutting the two separately. What I might do in your place, though, is unpick it all first, and then pin it and tack (baste?) it, and keep trying it on until you're SURE it's absolutely right, and only then cut it. Most of my jackets seem to have the linings sewn to the cuffs, so I guess that must be the right thing to do; but I really think you have to keep persevering with the pinning-and-basting process to make sure that the lining is falling in exactly the right spot.

However, my attempts at home-dressmaking have always been slightly on the haphazard side; maybe someone else would have a better idea of how to approach the problem!
Subject Author Posted

Any tailoring experts here?

Joanne March 20, 2005 10:45AM

Re: Any tailoring experts here?

Anonymous User March 20, 2005 03:45PM

Joanne March 21, 2005 12:18PM

Ritva Kurittu March 21, 2005 12:30PM

Joanne March 21, 2005 03:38PM

Sue March 21, 2005 04:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login