Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 28, 2024, 7:02 pm UTC    
February 18, 2005 04:38AM
Hi Kennuchelover,

The point is that we, as a society, have decided that it is not aceptible to own activated hand guns for sport or collection. Nor is it acceptible to own a gun for the purpose of self-defense.

The carrying of "deadly weapons" is also an offence; the law effectively assumes that if you are carrying an object (knife, bat, or whatever) in the course of a crime then there is an intent to use it - especially if a person is put in fear of their life by the presense of that object.

We are allowed to use reasonable force to prevent personal injury or theft - however, if that force involves the use of an illegally held gun then you are guilty of an offense.

The difference between guns and other forms of violence is that killing is easy with guns.
The second problem - and more of one, I'd have thought for a society, is the number of deaths and injuries caused by accidents.

I appreciate that the willingness to use violence is cultural. However, it is fair to ask the question is the general acceptance of personal firearms contributing to the cultural norm of using excessive violence?

I don't care if you guys in the USA want to carry guns - it's up to you after all. However, I do care that we over here maintain our own cultural position against them.

Pete

God is our guide! from field, from wave, From plough, from anvil, and from loom; We come, our country's rights to save, And speak a tyrant faction's doom: We raise the watch-word liberty; We will, we will,we will be free!
Subject Author Posted

Send Lawyers, Guns, and...Jack Daniel's?

Jeffhotep February 16, 2005 02:55PM

Re: Send Lawyers, Guns, and...Jack Daniel's?

laura February 16, 2005 03:26PM

Stephen Tonkin February 16, 2005 05:07PM

laura February 17, 2005 04:06AM

kenuchelover February 17, 2005 02:45PM

Pete Clarke February 18, 2005 04:38AM

laura February 18, 2005 04:56AM

Lee February 18, 2005 01:40PM

Pete Clarke February 17, 2005 09:18AM

Marduk February 17, 2005 01:54PM

lobo-hotei February 17, 2005 02:21PM

laura February 17, 2005 03:41PM

Marduk February 17, 2005 06:40PM

lobo-hotei February 17, 2005 07:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login