Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 29, 2024, 10:44 pm UTC    
March 08, 2015 12:14PM
You have made a good point.

I saw a representation of an angle, and it looked to me like a horizon, but the picture could have been entertained without even contemplating the east-west horizon, so I am happy to forget that idea, as I mentioned in my last post.

The angle of the pole of the night sky, and arguably Alpha Draconis, was the most important angle, and the proposed representation in the east-west plane made me jump to the conclusion that the latitude north of the equator was seen as exactly equal to the angle of the pole of the night sky, which was not necessarily the case.

I think that the relationship with latitude may, however, have been understood to some degree, because the elevation of the pole star increases in the journey down the Nile from Upper Egypt to Lower Egypt until it is very close to 30 degrees at Dahshur.

Similarly, the angle of the sun at mid-day at the equinox was, of course, very close to 30 degrees at Dahshur, but decreases in the journey up the Nile, such that it remains the same as the angle of the pole star, but with respect to the vertical rather than the horizontal.

The geography of Egypt meant that AE would only have need a modest grasp of the world around them to come to the view that I proposed, and would not have needed a fully developed concept of latitude.

My picture in degrees would fit, even if AE did not divide the circle into degrees, but for it to fit so precisely would have required the circumference of a circle to be divided into a large number of divisions.

If someone else had raised this theory then my objection would have been that the round numbers and squaring the circle lead to a very precise angle, which would not have been the case unless that was the basis of the location. ie that AE decided to build at an odd location defined by an obscure geometric relationship.

It seems more likely that AE would have a chosen a location, and then determined how to represent that location geometrically, which could not have involved such regular geometry without an astonishing coincidence, and if this was the case then we would not be able to differentiate between coincidence and intention.

The exception to the rule is Giza, where regular geometry can define the position of the pole star at 30 degrees above the horizon (or 1/12 of the circumference of a circle), but the discovery of an angle of 30 degrees in some aspect of the plan at Giza has the uncertainty that it was not necessarily connected to the angle of the pole star (or pole of the night sky) because it is such regular angle.

Mark
Subject Author Posted

The design of the Dashur pyramids

robin cook February 18, 2015 10:06PM

Re: The design of the Dashur pyramids

Mark Heaton February 19, 2015 05:17PM

Mark Heaton February 20, 2015 03:32PM

robin cook February 21, 2015 08:11PM

Mark Heaton February 22, 2015 06:04PM

robin cook February 23, 2015 01:48PM

Mark Heaton February 24, 2015 02:22PM

The Red pyramid

robin cook February 26, 2015 08:48PM

Re: The Red Pyramid's latitude

Mark Heaton February 28, 2015 06:13PM

Re: The height of the Red Pyramid

Mark Heaton March 01, 2015 03:29AM

Geotio March 01, 2015 05:34AM

Mark Heaton March 08, 2015 12:14PM

Geotio March 08, 2015 01:47PM

Bent pyramid lower passage

robin cook March 06, 2015 06:23PM

Re: Proof of 1,460 solar years

Mark Heaton March 07, 2015 11:02AM

1/pi degrees in the Red Pyramid

Mark Heaton March 06, 2015 03:05PM

Re: 1/pi degrees in the Red Pyramid

Mark Heaton March 09, 2015 06:20PM

Re: The digit and the Bent Pyramid complex

Mark Heaton February 21, 2015 04:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login