Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 29, 2024, 6:07 pm UTC    
January 13, 2013 07:15AM
Here's a cool thing about this theory. I just figured that Holy of Holies thing out a couple days ago. I did the following theories at least a year ago and yet observe the asonishing accuracy in the Sacred Cubit lengths which will result by the end of this post.

This was my theory about how the RC was derived from the Nippur Cubit;

Here's how the royal cubit really originated. They took a Nippur cubit and divided it into 28 instead of the normal 30 fingers. That 1/28th of a Nippur cubit then became the Egyptian finger (or digit). Simple as that. 40 of those fingers made the diagonal of a royal cubit square. That's why Petrie found that the Egyptian digit was not evenly divisble into a royal cubit. He correctly deduced that it was 1/40th of the diagonal of a royal cubit square but he still didn't know where it originally came from.

So there is the true origin of the royal cubit. Since the Nippur cubit was 518.5 mm in 2650 BC, known because a copper alloy Nippur cubit rod was found, we know that 1/28th of that would be 18.51785714 mm. Multiplying that by 40 yields 740.7142857, dividing that by sqrt 2 gives the side of the square as 523.7640944 mm, which converts to 20.62063364 inches. This, then, was the true length of the Egyptian royal cubit in the 4th Dynasty. The mean side length of the GP is 9068.8 inches, which would be 439.7924991 true royal cubits.

Here's a quote from Petrie;

"As I have already pointed out (Ind. Met., p. 56), the cubit and digit have no integral relation one to the other; the connection of 28 digits with the cubit being certainly inexact, and merely adopted to avoid fractions. Now these earliest values of the cubit and digit entirely bear out this view; 28 of these digits of .727 is but 20.36 ± .06, in place of the actual cubit 20.62 ± .01. Is there then any simple connection between the digit and cubit? Considering how in the Great Pyramid, the earliest monument in which the cubit is yet found, so much of the design appears to be based on a relation of the squares of linear quantities to one another, or on diagonals of squares, it will not be impossible to entertain the theory of the cubit and digit being reciprocally connected by diagonals.

A square cubit has a diagonal of 40 digits, or 20 digits squared has a diagonal of one cubit; thus a square cubit is the double of a square of 20 digits, so that halves of areas can be readily stated. This relation is true to well within the small uncertainties of our knowledge of the standards; the diagonal of a square cubit of 20.62 being 40 digits of .729, and the actual mean digit being .727 ± .002. This is certainly the only simple connection that can be traced between the cubit and digit; and if this be rejected, we must fall back on the supposition of two independent and incommensurable units." [www.ronaldbirdsall.com]

Okay, so in that theory the RC length resulting was 20.62063364 British inches.

I also had done the following at least a year ago. Observe the resulting Sacred Cubit length;

Now, if you use that RC length that my earlier theory produced, 20.62063364", and do the Holy of Holies cube thing with it then the Sacred Cubit length for the sides which results is 25.00118961". Now compare that to the Sacred Cubit length produced from that Nippur Cubit triangle in my earlier image. The only difference is that the 7th decimal place is an 8 in the triangle image and a 6 in the figure that results from my cube theory. That even astonished me.

That must really be the true length of the Royal Cubit, 20.62063364 British inches, and those theories must all be correct. How else could it work out so precisely between the three different theories? It appears that the Sacred Cubit was derived directly from the Nippur Cubit, through the triangle method. That also means that the Royal Cubit, the Common Cubit and the Sacred Cubit must all be drived from the Nippur Cubit. I doubt that the Sacred Cubit was derived from the Royal Cubit by the cube method. It's just an interesting fact that the cube thing works out as it does. That's just another geometric relationship between the four different cubit types.

You could speculate just what the exact sequence was but historically I think the Nippur Cubit was the earliest so I'm assuming that the others derived from it, rather than a different sequence, say, starting from the Sacred Cubit. It is conceiveable though that the Sacred Cubit was actually the first and WAS based on the earth polar radius. Who made the first Sacred Cubit though, if that is in fact the correct sequence? One thing is certain, that nobody ever had a forearm 25 inches long.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 07:29AM by Rigel_7.
Subject Author Posted

Holy of Holies and the Royal Cubit

Rigel_7 January 11, 2013 08:14PM

Re: Holy of Holies and the Royal Cubit

Rigel_7 January 11, 2013 09:08PM

Rigel_7 January 12, 2013 07:18AM

Rigel_7 January 13, 2013 07:15AM

Byrd January 22, 2013 11:12AM

Jammer January 22, 2013 11:50AM

Rigel_7 January 23, 2013 12:11PM

Jammer January 23, 2013 12:22PM

Rigel_7 January 23, 2013 12:47PM

Jammer January 23, 2013 01:18PM

Rigel_7 January 23, 2013 04:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login