Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 3, 2024, 6:18 am UTC    
February 28, 2012 04:56PM
Thanks Hermione. Yes I think so, but it was worth reading again.

The author makes the point, rather well, that the architect of G1 need not have been a brilliant mathematician to have deliberately designed G1 in the pi ratio.

I think that human beings of any race could have discovered pi independently, and I'm not sure that who was first actually matters. I am not trying to argue that the ancient Egyptians were as accomplished as the Greeks or Babylonians in mathematical astronomy. If they were then much of their knowledge would be beyond my understanding.

I agree that Archimedes was so clever that he could have discovered pi without any help from anybody. There is no doubt that the Greeks became accomplished mathematicians in the first millenium BC. It is possible Imhotep or the architect of G1 was as clever as Archimedes, but I doubt it.

The discovery of a lunar cycle of 309 lunar months in 25 calendar years has been regarded as an outstanding but uncharacteristic achievement of the Egyptians in the first millenium BC:
see, W. Harter, Journal for the History of Astronomy, vol 9, 207 (1978)

Neugeberger noted that it was not possible to exclude a date of origin of the cycle, and merely supposed that it might have been in the fifth century BC.

In my opinion I can prove that this cycle was known to the architect of G1, and if a mathematician were to follow through the logic of my post then it becomes apparent. This is an extraordinarily accurate equation, accurate to 1 day in ca 540 years, but I do not claim that AE were necessarily aware of the precision of their observation.

Mark

Subject Author Posted

pi in QC of G1

Mark Heaton February 28, 2012 02:19PM

Egyptian Pi

Hermione February 28, 2012 03:42PM

Re: Egyptian Pi

Mark Heaton February 28, 2012 04:56PM

L Cooper February 29, 2012 08:05AM

Mark Heaton February 29, 2012 12:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login