Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 17, 2024, 7:05 am UTC    
July 25, 2009 03:12AM
Hello Jacob

I didn’t have Lockyer’s book but was able to find a free copy in pdf format on the net. Thanks.

If I am not mistaken Lockyer refers to different temples in Karnak – that is Khons, Seti II, and B with orientation 62 , 63, and 63 ½ degrees respectively. Dawn of astronomy Is pretty old and new more accurate measurement might have been made. Sorry I don’t have Schwaller’s book. One thing I noticed in Lockyer is that his orientation on Mut temple is different by about 1 degree from what I see using Google Earth – at least the direction of the causeway. If I am correct there may be a geodetic and not astronomic notion behind it. I thus think we should also take into account the Karnak enclosement wall directions. It doesn't matter if they are not very old. Regarding Luxor temple from what I see in the book The Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt there are two directions easily noticed. The Ramesees II temple part from what I see using Google Earth is perfectly aligned with the oldest portion of Karnak Temple(Amenophis I). Thus for astronomic and other correlations we should concentrate on the orientation of the rest of it(Amenophis III South part). I don’t know if this has changed at all. Now concentrating on Thebes can you please explain where you see a total 6 degrees shift, what temple, era of construction/modification, and who’s measurements.

BR Ogygos

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 03:19AM by Ogygos.
Subject Author Posted

Karnak codex

Ogygos July 21, 2009 06:03PM

Re: Karnak codex

Sirfiroth July 21, 2009 09:57PM

Re: Karnak codex

Ogygos July 25, 2009 03:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login