Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 12, 2024, 2:04 am UTC    
Lee
December 21, 2007 02:37PM

Anthony,

Clearly not all Egyptologists share your certainty that no number symbolism is involved in the construction of the GP. “[T]here is no evidence whatsoever that the complex manoeuvres of its designers are intended to hold an overt religious symbolism. It is characteristic, however, of ancient Egyptian texts and images to use complexity in itself, as an expression of the ultimately unfathomable of harmonious order of the universe. Quite uncannily as well, a unique papyrus written centuries later specifically refers to Khufu’s horizon . . . in terms of numbers and transformation.” In Papyrus Westcar, Khufu sends for an old man “with knowledge of the number of some secret chambers that Khufu wants to replicate within his tomb. When Khufu asks him for that number, the wise old man replies, ‘By your favour, I know not the number thereof, my lord, but I know the pace where the number or the knowledge pf the number is.” Replete with pictograms signifying sealing and security, th4ese much debated lines seem to imply that King Khufu wishes his tomb to be designed in accordance with the ‘secret chambers’ of Thoth, a god of number and of numeration.” Romer, The Great pyramid at 354.

Here is the original passage Romer is discussing:

pA- ir=f Dd
iw=k rx.ti tnw nA-n-ipA.w.t n.t wn.t n.t DHwty
"Now what about what they say about you knowing the number (layout? plans?) of the secret chambers of the sanctuary of Thoth?"
Dd-in Ddi Hzi.ti n rx=i tnw ir.y
it.y anx.w wDA.w snb.w nb=i
"And Djedi said, "Please, Sovereign, live long and prosper, my Lord, I don't know
the number of them." OR

"Then Djedi said;"
"Please*, I don't know the appropriate number, Sovereign, to whom life, prosperity**, and health, my Lord."

iw=i sw.t rx=kw bw nty st jm

"I do however know the place in which it is."

I suggest a direct engagement with AE texts may yield results that are not always in accord with your perceptions of AE culture. Perhaps you know it less well than you think.

Lee
Subject Author Posted

Ancient Egyptian Cultural Context

Lee December 21, 2007 02:37PM

Re: Ancient Egyptian Cultural Context

Greg Reeder December 21, 2007 03:37PM

cladking December 21, 2007 05:45PM

Chris Tedder December 21, 2007 05:41PM

cladking December 21, 2007 05:50PM

cladking December 21, 2007 06:32PM

Chris Tedder December 21, 2007 07:06PM

Morph December 22, 2007 09:13AM

C Wayne Taylor December 21, 2007 05:51PM

Re: Ancient Non-Egyptian Cultural Context

Anthony December 22, 2007 05:15PM

Re: Ancient Non-Egyptian Cultural Context

Lee December 22, 2007 08:43PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login