Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 10:08 am UTC    
September 26, 2007 09:36AM
I'm discussing with Scott Creighton about his theory on another forum (and thanks to Hans who shows up to give me a hand... I'm dreadfully under-knowledged about much of ancient Egypt). He mentioned two things that I wanted to ask about here, because I know you scholars will provide me with the right answer.

He says :
> "The design of the temples [of Egypt] was revealed in a codex that fell from the heavens
> at Saqqara in the days of Imhotep" - Aldred, 'The Egyptians'. This inscription is to be
> found at the temple of Horus at Edfu. It tells us the plans for the temples (including
> Giza) did not originate with the AEs - the design was passed to them in a codex.

I can't find a reference of Imhotep and a codex in the temple of Horus at Edfu. Does anyone know what he's talking about? I asked him if Aldred had a source (trying to see if he was quoting a Budge translation or what) and Scott says he didn't. Can any of you shed light on this?

Also, he references pyramid texts that talk about the constellation Orion and gives a few examples such as:

"Behold he (the king) has come as Orion, behold Osiris has come as Orion... O King, the sky conceives you with Orion, the dawn-light bears you with Orion... you will regularly ascend with Orion from the EASTERN REGION of the sky, you will regularly descend with Orion in the WESTERN REGION of the sky... [PT820-2] "O King, you are this great star, the companion of Orion... the sky has born you with Orion... [PT882-3] "The king has come that he may glorify Orion..." [PT 925] "The Duat has grasped your hand at the place where Orion is... [PT802] "May you (the King) ascend to the sky, may the sky give birth to you like Orion... [PT2116] "Live and be young beside your father (Osiris), beside Orion in the sky..." [PT186]

My question: are those more recent PT's (dating to, say, 800 BC or thereabouts) or are they among the oldest... and how correct is the reference to Orion? I find this on Sacred Texts but no notes on how recent the translations are:
[www.sacred-texts.com]

Can anyone straighten me out here? Is Mercer's rendering of "Orion" correct?

Finally, was there ever a branch of the priesthood known by the title "Sons of Horus" or is there any reference to "Sons of Horus" as bringers/guardians of knowledge?

I'm willing to concede points where I'm wrong, but my library is tiny (a few books on translating hieroglyphs) and I don't see information on the internet that I consider totally reliable.

Halp!
Subject Author Posted

Orion? Imhotep? Sons of Horus?

Byrd September 26, 2007 09:36AM

Re: Orion? Imhotep? Sons of Horus?

Hermione September 26, 2007 10:04AM

Greg Reeder September 26, 2007 12:09PM

Katherine Reece September 26, 2007 12:37PM

Greg Reeder September 26, 2007 12:43PM

Katherine Reece September 26, 2007 01:26PM

Ritva Kurittu September 26, 2007 02:34PM

Greg Reeder September 26, 2007 02:42PM

Ritva Kurittu September 26, 2007 02:49PM

fmetrol September 26, 2007 02:50PM

Greg Reeder September 26, 2007 04:01PM

fmetrol September 26, 2007 04:39PM

Greg Reeder September 26, 2007 05:36PM

fmetrol September 27, 2007 08:52PM

Katherine Reece September 26, 2007 04:42PM

Sah (sAH, 'Orion')

Chris Tedder September 26, 2007 12:52PM

Re: Sah (sAH, 'Orion')

Anthony September 28, 2007 01:07PM

rich September 26, 2007 01:57PM

Byrd September 26, 2007 06:25PM

Hans September 27, 2007 06:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login