Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 12, 2024, 7:25 pm UTC    
June 22, 2007 10:03PM
Even though I haven't seen the video. What I would like to do if I had the resources was show Amarna from the way it was discovered. Opening sequence, the leveled remains of Akhetaten stretch out in front of us. Utterly desolate there's nothing before, us cut to what's left of Malkata palace. Then start with opening questions why did the AE's build a city over a course of fiteen years with an exquisite palace to go along with it and then utterly obliterate. Who built this city? And why after going to all of this trouble did they tear it down? In other words present it as a complete mystery build on it from there. Egyptologists found remains of a king and a queen but at the time our knowledge of AE heiroglyphics was incomplete. Then pull the pieces together we know that it was Ikhnaten, then later Akhenaten as our understanding of AE language improved. Then pull in more ideas the Aten, the overthrow of Amun, the finding and translation of the Amarna letters, what they mean, the discovery of Tutankhamens tomb, the death of Tut murder/accident/war wounds etc. of course the obligatory Tut's curse and why it's baloney. The murder of Zananza, the succession struggle between Ay and Horemhab finally Horemhab triumphant. In other words history is boring because it's being taught as a series of disconnected "facts" instead of a continuous stream of events. I think that if students realized that they wouldn't lose interest in history, the colleges would be full of historians. But that's just my 2 cents worth.
Subject Author Posted

Need an Serious Opinion (Education Tools)

Katherine Griffis-Greenberg June 22, 2007 09:36AM

Re: Need an Serious Opinion (Education Tools)

Archae Solenhofen June 22, 2007 05:14PM

Rick Baudé June 22, 2007 09:48PM

Rick Baudé June 22, 2007 10:03PM

Don Barone June 22, 2007 10:51PM

Rick Baudé June 23, 2007 12:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login