Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 4, 2024, 3:54 pm UTC    
April 23, 2020 11:26AM
Years ago when I was going to school there seemed to be an 'urban legend' (perhaps scholastic legend would be a better term.) that scientific articles couldn't be copyrighted, because according to the legend, researchers had to have access to the article in order to see if they could duplicate the findings. All very noble, and all very wrong. I found journal after journal where they would write the innocent but deadly phrase "For the purposes of licensing articles the author assigns all copyrights to the journal." As the article noted they couldn't even quote their own work without obtaining permission first!

Like I said on another string I went to Google scholar to find out how many Covid articles were still locked behind paywalls I found zero! It's sort of the reverse of the old wheeze about locking the barn after the horse escaped. This time it's like unlocking the barn after it burned down along with all the horses, livestock, equipment, your house the fields, the surrounding countryside etc.

What were two of the seven deadly sins? Oh yeah greed. Along with gluttony.
Subject Author Posted

One more reason, as if we needed one, as to why paywalls should be obliterated.

Rick Baudé April 22, 2020 01:50PM

Re: One more reason, as if we needed one, as to why paywalls should be obliterated.

KatDawg April 23, 2020 09:35AM

Re: One more reason, as if we needed one, as to why paywalls should be obliterated.

Rick Baudé April 23, 2020 11:26AM

KatDawg April 23, 2020 02:19PM

Rick Baudé April 23, 2020 02:24PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login