Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 8, 2024, 4:00 pm UTC    
Lee
June 02, 2005 10:41AM
People build -- and what is worse -- rebuild in totally unsuitable places. Then the rest of us are supposed to feel sorry for them when the eminently predictable fire, flood or, in this case, mudslide occurs. What is worth, the federal government then steps in with disaster relief wasting money on rebuilding in the same places over and over again. In some areas, the government has wised up; there were areas in north N.J. that were in a known flood plane and flooded repeatedly. The same people got homes rebuilt even though more floods were not only predictable but inevitable. No longer; if you buy or build in the flood plane you are eligible for disaster relief per se (food, clothing, shelter) but you will not be permitted to rebuild on the taxpayer’s dime. I think it high time to prevent building in areas where particular disasters are more than likely to recur. It’s a waste of money and resources. As for sympathy here, you can find it in the dictionary between s..t and syphilis. A “great view” in a known disaster area doesn’t entitle you to much of it imho.

Lee

I should add, that I am aware that homes located in some areas may be difficult to sell, thus locking people into a site. That's why,in Jersey at least, the government has been buying homes located in the floodplain and demolishing them, giving people cash with which to move and resettle. To me, at least, this seems the right way to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2005 11:27AM by Lee.
Subject Author Posted

Laguna Beach Landslide Wrecks Homes (California)

Paul H. June 01, 2005 01:44PM

Re: Laguna Beach Landslide Wrecks Homes (California)

peski June 01, 2005 03:18PM

peski June 01, 2005 03:26PM

wirelessguru1 June 01, 2005 03:47PM

MoonDog June 01, 2005 06:21PM

renee June 01, 2005 11:50PM

Lee June 02, 2005 10:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login