Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 2, 2024, 3:13 pm UTC    
March 16, 2005 04:53PM
> With respect to the 2nd law of thermodynamics-- one of the ways to state it is that
> the tedency of states is toward increasing disorder. As a consequence work is required
> to maintain or create order.

I agree. This is an excellent way of actually describing it...

> As a sort of analogy think of a group of people going somewhere- if nothing is done,
> they will all head in that direction in no particular order. If, however you want
> them all to march there in ordered ranks at a particular pace, you need a drill
> instructor to do the work of getting them organized to do that.

That is a good analogy also since it directly suggests that a common reference is critical to execute order. Like for communication systems to work orderly, they all need to have the same clock reference. That is for both one on one (point-to-point), one to many (point-to-multipoint) and many to many networks like the Internet...

> A second example. If you play the game of passing a message by having a number of
> people whisper the messageto each other sequentially, you will find that a number
> of errors creep in, i.e. the tendency is toward disorder (increasing entropy).

Indeed, like I was just stating above, if the communication protocols get out of sync with each other, then errors are immediately introduced into the link and the network and then one needs to have re-transmissions.

> If it is very important that a message be transmitted accurately (such as orders in
> war), the massage must be sent several times and/or by different means. Even if errors
> occur, they won't be the same ones and you can cancel them out. However, doing this
> involves additional effort (i.e. work).

Indeed, indeed. TCP/IP, for example, which is the main transport and network protocol for the Internet networks is a very clear example of what you just said. For example, TCP relies on retransmissions if a packet of data is not acknowledged to have been received properly. So, with high error rates, a LOT of extra work is needed to still ensure reliable and orderly transmission.

IMHO, if man can do all of this work and achieve order, I am sure that Nature can also do it or is already doing it! After all, like in wireless communications, we are just using basic waves at different frequencies to carry the information and data...

-wirelessguru1
Subject Author Posted

Chaos to Order??

MoonDog March 15, 2005 10:55PM

Re: Chaos to Order??

wirelessguru1 March 15, 2005 11:58PM

MoonDog March 16, 2005 01:01AM

wirelessguru1 March 16, 2005 03:36AM

Stephen Tonkin March 16, 2005 03:20AM

Dave L March 16, 2005 09:14AM

MoonDog March 16, 2005 12:59PM

bernard March 16, 2005 02:45PM

wirelessguru1 March 16, 2005 04:53PM

MoonDog March 16, 2005 05:52PM

wirelessguru1 March 16, 2005 06:47PM

MoonDog March 16, 2005 08:04PM

wirelessguru1 March 16, 2005 08:23PM

bernard March 16, 2005 08:46PM

MoonDog March 16, 2005 11:57PM

STORY MOVED......

MoonDog March 21, 2005 04:21PM

Re: STORY MOVED......AGAIN

MoonDog March 21, 2005 09:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login