Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 14, 2024, 8:14 am UTC    
October 24, 2006 09:57AM
"The poles are interesting because they're not only totemic (household/clan markers) but they generally tell a story or refer to something historical. So it's not "gods" or "sacred things" but "important information."

An example: a "totem pole" would be similar to a tree carved with "Noah's Ark", with the ark and Noah and his family in the middle and fish below and sinners below that and over it all the figure of Jehovah."

I think the temptation to oversimplify and cultural marker identify should be avoided here.

First and foremost..

Totem Poles had a purpose

Some were mortuary poles, some of which actually contained bodies others not.

Some were power poles ie protection against the forces of nature

A bear holding a fish not only insures a good catch, but acts as a guardian over the fishermen until their return.

While their elemental beliefs are represented on the pole I do not think a comparisson to an Old Testament Fable holds much water.

They are an amalgum of forces. They individual characters as noted represent clan affiliations, marriage, and acheivement. But not just anyone can adapt these images, they must be passed to the artist from an elder master carver.

In my work I am obligatd to adhere to the froms dictated and even colours used must adhere to tradition. I also clearly state that my work is Commerical Art and not to be used for ceremonial purpose. Other than those instances where allowed. eg I carve a version of a Village Island Mourning Mask on commision when people have experienced a loss. as a matter of fact I am starting one to honour my father in law who passed on last week.

as I noted in my at large post. the parallels between Norse art and that of the NW coast are very similar. in many cases this is do to similar environment and lifestyle. IOW's they had to kow tow to the same elements.

while I am loathe to compare totems to OT mythology

the similarites to AE elemental art are very real

If the jackal is disturbing bodies make the Jackal God the guardian of same

if the Bear is eating all the fish make that spirit/force the guardian of same

interestingly enough the common tool is the adze

It would probably be easier to wax on if I were dealing with more specific questions
Hope this helps a bit

warwick

" I have always found that the main obstacle to free
association on these boards is the broad
misconception that what we do not know is more
significant than what we do know."

Warwick L Nixon, March 8, 2019
Subject Author Posted

Totem poles

DDeden October 21, 2006 11:06AM

Re: Totem poles

warwick at large October 22, 2006 12:13PM

Byrd October 22, 2006 10:29PM

Warwick L Nixon October 24, 2006 09:57AM

Byrd November 05, 2006 07:25PM

Warwick L Nixon November 06, 2006 11:37AM

Warwick L Nixon October 24, 2006 09:42AM

DDeden October 25, 2006 12:09PM

the Ainu

Warwick L Nixon October 27, 2006 10:37AM

Re: the Ainu

DDeden October 28, 2006 11:25AM

Re: the Ainu

DDeden October 28, 2006 12:00PM

H.M. Submarine Totem

Martin Stower November 08, 2006 06:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login