> The thing about NAPGRA is that it is protecting
> what is a fairly uniform tribal belief. Corpse
> desecration is a terrible no-no and fiddling with
> bones even to do scientific tests are something
> unthinkable. For example, with the Navajo tribe,
> doing such a thing would disrupt the spirit's
> journey into the next world and draw it back. May
> seem silly to some but this is a strong belief
> with not just bones but even ancient artifacts.

Which in the case of the Navajo, has led to an ironic parallel with physical anthropologists. To the best of my knowledge (correct me if you've heard otherwise), while the Navajo Nation is opposed to digging up remains, this belief system leads them to avoid applying for repatriation of remains (don't want to handle them, or maybe feel damage already done & don't want negative consequences going to the wrong people? winking smiley.... so that scientists & institutions have been allowed to keep ALREADY excavated remains.

> In the case of Kennewick Man, we have an overly
> excitable guy who opened his mouth far too soon
> because he thought it looked caucasian.

The remains WERE found amidst the washed out remains of a White homesteader's midden, and didn't "look" that old (color, condition, etc). So a certain degree of careless conclusion jumping might be forgiven.

But.... Chatters has CONTINUED to make false statements of the stereotypical variety ("all Indians look this way", "all PaleoIndians looked that way", "and never the twain shall meet"). So he was either criminally ignorant (given his profession, and the fact that he charged people money for his professional opinion & efforts) of Native American AND PaleoIndian features, and has continually refused to acknowledge said gaps in knowledge & fill them.... or he's been consciously lying the whole time (seeking publicity, seeking to gut NAGPRA, acting out a racist fantasy, getting psychic revenge on some unknown Indian who slighted him 30 yrs ago, Quien Sabe?)

> That
> mixed with spiritual beliefs of the tribes was
> like pouring gasoline on a bonfire.

Eh, no offense, but I'd disagree. It wasn't the claim of "one of your ancient ancestors were caucasian" that caused the conflagation (Indians aren't hung up on racial purity, and certain tribes SPECIFICALLY believe that their ancient ancestors looked different).....

..... it was the "Indians all look alike" & the "Caucasians were here BEFORE your ancestors (despite the existance of Indian looking PaleoIndian remains OLDER than Kennewick)" & the "your mongoloid ancestors must have wiped out our caucasoid relatives" & the "maybe this will affect the validity of treaties & remove that pesky Native sovereignty issue" claims that got Indian danders up. Oh, and "Looks Caucasian/etc" claims by scientists who HADN'T examined the remains, and other such bits of disregard for the scientific process.

> I have yet to
> see anyone say that Kennewick Man gave them a
> better understanding about tribal beliefs...
>
> Stephanie

I dunno.... seeing how badly White society acted up on this issue, it DID give me a better appreciation for letting the dead rest in peace.... no matter HOW old they are. winking smiley

Kenuchelover.
Subject Author Posted

Strange book

C. Loggy April 19, 2005 04:59PM

Re: Strange book

Katherine Reece April 19, 2005 05:11PM

kenuchelover April 24, 2005 02:38PM

C. Loggy April 25, 2005 07:04AM

Stephanie April 25, 2005 09:39AM

kenuchelover April 25, 2005 07:44PM

Stephanie April 27, 2005 11:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login