Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 9:17 pm UTC    
April 25, 2005 09:39AM
You'd be definitely surprised then. There are a good number of people who have definite misconceptions about what NAPGRA is all about and why it exists for the tribe. I have seen so many accusations against the tribes that they are trying to hide something from the rest of us all that it is blatantly ridiculous.

The thing about NAPGRA is that it is protecting what is a fairly uniform tribal belief. Corpse desecration is a terrible no-no and fiddling with bones even to do scientific tests are something unthinkable. For example, with the Navajo tribe, doing such a thing would disrupt the spirit's journey into the next world and draw it back. May seem silly to some but this is a strong belief with not just bones but even ancient artifacts.

In the case of Kennewick Man, we have an overly excitable guy who opened his mouth far too soon because he thought it looked caucasian. That mixed with spiritual beliefs of the tribes was like pouring gasoline on a bonfire. I have yet to see anyone say that Kennewick Man gave them a better understanding about tribal beliefs...

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Strange book

C. Loggy April 19, 2005 04:59PM

Re: Strange book

Katherine Reece April 19, 2005 05:11PM

kenuchelover April 24, 2005 02:38PM

C. Loggy April 25, 2005 07:04AM

Stephanie April 25, 2005 09:39AM

kenuchelover April 25, 2005 07:44PM

Stephanie April 27, 2005 11:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login