Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 5, 2024, 11:40 pm UTC    
March 03, 2005 03:01PM
That bracelet is a very traditional style. They are absolutely beautiful in person. They are also quite heavy. I'd almost that my mother's bracelet weighed close to half a pound. I sent it to her office and when she wore it around her office after receiving it, her female coworkers giggled at how her wrist seemed to droop because of the weight. We have to buy a couple of those plus a necklace, earrings and a concha belt for our daughter. We'll probably end up spending around $600-800 to equip her properly out here. Probably the most shocking thing I saw when I first moved out here was on Native American Appreciation Day. Imagine if you will little kids, ages ranging from 5 and up, totally decked out in traditional clothes and probably wearing close to $600 (local pricing) in jewelry.

The prices are so incredibly different, Cicely. It can be up to 50% or more lower than what you would find in shops, online and off. I've seen nice concha belts being sold for about $150 through the artisans. This will probably also twist a knife in for you but on the reservation itself, artisans will often show up at major places of employment in Window Rock, the capital on the Navajo Nation. The company will notify its employees that a bread maker, potterer or jeweler is on the premises and people actually stop work to shop. lol

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

An interesting local restaurant quirk.

Stephanie March 02, 2005 08:47PM

Re: An interesting local restaurant quirk.

cicely March 02, 2005 09:11PM

Stephanie March 03, 2005 03:01PM

cicely March 03, 2005 03:16PM

cicely March 03, 2005 04:56PM

Stephanie March 03, 2005 10:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login