Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 5, 2024, 11:06 pm UTC    
March 02, 2005 08:47PM
As you enter into Gallup, NM, you see a not so impressive little New Mexico town that's foundations are laid around a train station. There are a few historic sites around town but that's not one of the reasons why alot of tourists stop in Gallup during the summer months (aka tourist season). Gallup calls itself the "Indian Jewelry Capital of the World". You can't miss the proclamation as you're heading into town because of the billboards, usually featuring a lovely little native american girl, dressed in Navajo traditional wear and wearing beautiful jewelry.

Gallup has a large number of local shops (both new and pawn) that sell Native American jewelry and other crafts, ie pottery, rugs, kachinas and baskets. Along with that, there are also a number of jewelry supply stores in the town that cater mostly to Native American craftspeople to make their wares. But, shopping in Gallup doesn't just stop there. Gallup takes it to a whole different level.

There are several restaurants around town that might have a sign that would make most people from outside of the area cringe: Solicitors welcome. In Gallup, however, this means something entirely different. This means that you can be sitting down for a pizza, a good mexican dish, or whatever else tickles your fancy and have Native American craftsmen politely and quietly come up as you dine to show you their wares. Yes! Shopping while you eat! They might be carrying padded velvet trays stocked with earrings, bracelets, necklaces draped over their arms. 99% of the solicitors that approach the customers of the restaurant are the craftsmen themselves and they offer their wares at often astounding prices.

For example, check out this beautiful turquoise bracelet: Turquoise bracelet

My husband and I acquired one that was just like it from a Navajo young woman who needed to sell some of her stock for some extra cash. We didn't pay the $200-400 that one would usually pay for such a bracelet. We paid $60 for a finely made silver and turquoise virtually identical to the one in that picture. When you're buying from the craftsmen themselves, you usually are paying for the price of the materials and a little extra for their effort.

There is one particuliar restaurant in town that really caters to and protects Native American artisans. This restaurant is called "Earl's" and is generally packed most nights. Before you even enter the restaurant, you can walk by tables filled with jewelry being minded and sold by their artisans'. Earl's knows that a good portion of their success comes from the artisans that come to sell their wares and treats them very well. Outdoor heaters are perched above the tables so that the artisans can stay warm as they sit outside. To even sell at Earl's, you have to be Native American and the items you sell have to be made by you, eliminating the problem of questionably authentic items being sold at the establishment. You buy from one of these artisans and you know that every penny of that money is going straight to them in exchange for their work itself. It's a really wonderful symbiotic relationship.

If you don't want to wait, you can walk into a local pizza hut and have artisans come along. The age ranges vary. I remember buying 3 thin silver bracelets from a young boy who was about 12 years old. He made the bracelets himself and talked to me about it for several minutes, even after I bought them. I was his first sale. smiling smiley This kind of dining is a really unique experience. The prices are great and you get to meet the person who made the beauty you just bought. All while you eat. If you ever visit Gallup and plan to go "dining/shopping", just make sure you bring plenty of cash. smiling smiley If we go into a solicitor friendly restaurant with $40 cash, we usually walk out with no cash, a couple earrings, a necklace and a bracelet. LOL (I suspect that this is why my husband usually suggests take out instead of dining out!)

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

An interesting local restaurant quirk.

Stephanie March 02, 2005 08:47PM

Re: An interesting local restaurant quirk.

cicely March 02, 2005 09:11PM

Stephanie March 03, 2005 03:01PM

cicely March 03, 2005 03:16PM

cicely March 03, 2005 04:56PM

Stephanie March 03, 2005 10:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login