May 20, 2024, 2:58 am UTC    
April 09, 2007 10:07AM
Don Barone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like
> everyone else I never did find proof that she did
> not burn and never was able to reconcile how her
> death could have been faked.

So, given the number of contemporary eyewitness accounts (mentioned at the foot of this page [archive.joan-of-arc.org]), perhaps it might be safe to conclude that it really took place, then?

> However I have learnt
> over the years that Karl has never suggested
> anything that was not true.

I’m afraid that your personal experience of another person’s theories cannot count as primary evidence that Jeanne d’Arc did not die on the stake.

>I have to "assume" that the royal families then (as now) can pretty much control "the press" and what people believe.

No, you don’t have to assume that … If you do, it implies that you suspect some kind of conspiracy to prevent her death. I don’t know of any evidence for such a conspiracy.

Hermione
> ... Which clue would that be? ...

Don:
> The clue alleged to have come from the hidden
> parchment in the church of Rennes le Chateau which
> in part reads ... "Shepherdess, no temptation -
> Poussin and Teniers hold the key ... "

Yes, I rather thought that might be it … Well, without delving too deeply into the murky quagmire that is Rennes-le-Château, let me just remark that, to say the very least, there has been a good deal of controversy over that parchment, and rather a lot of evidence has emerged that suggests that it is no more than a modern forgery. As I find the evidence to this effect infinitely more compelling than suggestions that the parchment might actually be ancient, I am forced to conclude that it can have no bearing on the question of the alleged connection with Jeanne d’Arc (or Darc, the more probable contemporary spelling of her surname).

... She seems to be involved, or at least her
> > travels do, with the mystery at Ghent as well
> and the altarpiece.
>
Hermione:
> How?
>
Don:
> All three corners of the triangle co-incide with
> her life and death in general

Her life and death in general? Why not her life and death in particular? Why leave out Domrémy-la-Pucelle, where she was brought up? Why shouldn’t that be incorporated into some geometric figure or another?

> and this triangle
> seems to be hidden into the painting by Jan and
> Hubert Van Eyck of the Lanb of God and The Ghent
> altarpiece.

As far as I can make out, one of the images to which you link has the van Eyck painting superimposed randomly, and at an arbitrary angle, on a map of the French landscape, which, of course, for the purposes of this exercise, has had to be set at a certain scale (as, indeed, has the reproduction of the painting itself). Unfortunately, even given the fact that the scale of both map and painting were the choice of whoever came up with the resulting graphic, it does not appear to have succeeded in its object. Reims is supposedly at the top of the painting, while Rouen and Orléans are somewhere off the sides at the foot. I cannot see how such a peculiar and badly-executed exercise is supposed to constitute “hiding a triangle” connected with the life of Jeanne d’Arc’s. Nor could I see why the artist might have had such an idea in mind.

Then there is the matter of the sites on the map. The map to which you link indicates that the distances between Rheims and Rouen, and Reims and Orléans, are equal. I’m at a disadvantage here, because GoogleEarth makes my PC crash, and I’ve had to give up using it: perhaps someone with a working version would be able to check the precise distances and bearings between, say, each cathedral of these three cities (In the case of Orleans, it might be interesting to check the measurements from the site of the hill – between the rue Sainte-Catherine, Ducerceau et des Hôtelleries to the west, and the rues Bourdon-Blanc and Tour-Neuve to the east) that was the site of the original settlement of Cenabum). As I’ve commented previously, it is more accurate to check such measurements by reference to co-ordinates, rather than by drawing lines on maps.

A brief look at the cities’ histories reveals that only Orléans pre-dates the Roman era, having apparently been founded as a civitas called Cenabum by the Celtic Carnutes tribe, and later refounded in the 3rd century by the Emperor Aurelian. Rouen was founded by the Romans as Rotomagus; and Reims, too, was founded in the Roman era.

Although there were no roads directly linking the three cities, they did form part of the Roman road system:. (As can be seen from this map, some of the other roads that link Roman cities do form approximate triangles; and evidence of Roman cadastral surveys, together with some evidence of the application of Roman measurement systems, has been found in various areas of France.)

Hermione
> I looked at the link, but didn't find it very
> informative.
>
> What exactly were you looking for ?

Since you omitted to give your readers any indication of any post in particular, I was reduced to looking for evidence of research that you had carried out on Jeanne d’Arc. All I found were a great many very vague statements which, as far as I could make out, were loosely related to the Rennes-le-Château question, interspersed with maps of France decorated with a random assortment of lines and geometric figures, and a series of Renaissance paintings with fluorescent green triangles drawn over them in apparently arbitrary fashion, none of which I found helpful.

> If it was
> common knowledge (and easily provable) that she
> survived it would hardly qualify as a mystery.

You’re speaking of Jeanne d’Arc? It is not I who am arguing that there is any mystery about her. It is common knowledge (and easily demonstrable) that she died. So far, I've seen no evidence to the contrary, and no suggestion that there could be any mystery.

> Hermione wrote: But the site doesn't say anything
> about her having a second post-combustion life, or
> marrying into the Anjou family, though ...
>
Don
> Now if it did history would have to be re-written
> and we know how the established order hates that !

If you’re referring to the academic world in general, then, no, we don’t know that the “established order hates that”. The academic world is continually in the process of revising its thinking, although it fights shy of doing so on the basis of vague statements, meaningless diagrams and badly researched theories.

Hermione
Director/Moderator - The Hall of Ma'at

Rules and Guidelines

hallofmaatforum@proton.me
Subject Author Posted

Joan of Arc's bones are an Egyptian Mummy

Jon_B April 04, 2007 05:10PM

Re: Joan of Arc's bones are an Egyptian Mummy

Greg Reeder April 04, 2007 05:34PM

Anthony April 04, 2007 05:36PM

Greg Reeder April 04, 2007 07:16PM

Dave L April 04, 2007 05:37PM

Dave L April 04, 2007 05:41PM

Roxana Cooper April 05, 2007 10:05AM

Don Barone April 06, 2007 12:40AM

Hermione April 06, 2007 07:00AM

Joanne April 06, 2007 11:09AM

Don Barone April 07, 2007 12:02AM

Hermione April 07, 2007 06:08AM

Don Barone April 07, 2007 11:53AM

Hermione April 07, 2007 12:23PM

Joanne April 07, 2007 12:56PM

Hermione April 07, 2007 03:10PM

Joanne April 07, 2007 03:32PM

Don Barone April 08, 2007 09:42AM

Hermione April 09, 2007 10:07AM

Don Barone April 09, 2007 10:38AM

Joe_S April 10, 2007 03:21AM

Hermione April 10, 2007 04:06AM

Joe_S April 10, 2007 09:27PM

Hermione April 11, 2007 03:01AM

Hermione April 09, 2007 10:59AM

Joanne April 09, 2007 11:12AM

Hermione April 10, 2007 04:47AM

Joanne April 10, 2007 07:03AM

Joe_S April 10, 2007 02:59AM

Hermione April 10, 2007 05:05AM

Don Barone April 10, 2007 06:18AM

Hermione April 10, 2007 07:04AM

Don Barone April 10, 2007 07:14AM

Hermione April 10, 2007 11:39AM

Joe_S April 10, 2007 09:38PM

Hermione April 11, 2007 03:12AM

Joe_S April 12, 2007 02:52PM

Roxana Cooper April 08, 2007 10:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login