-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Sue,
>
> Is it as good as "Stalker" and "Solaris" - two of
> my favourite films of all time?
>
> Pete
>
> History is not a science; it is a method.
> Charles Seignobos

I can't say. Each Tarkovsky film is a masterpiece in its own right, individually.. yet they all have that curious signature, most notably a helluvalotta water.

Did you know that Tarkovsky's first student film was a nineteen minute adaptation of the Hemingway short story, "The Killers." It comes packaged in a dvd that contains it and two later versions, one film noir and the other sixties modern. It's funny that Tarkovsky's is the only one that remains close to faithful to Hemingway, though the other two are interesting just to see the divergences and the type of film Hollywood thought it should make.

For me, Stalker was difficult to watch and internalize .. as for Solaris, I love that film. It does take liberties with Lem's book, but all to the good philosophically, emotionally, and artistically, if only for the gravitational floating scene in the room with the Breughels.

I don't know what my favorite T film is, but I find myself inclining towards Andrei Rublev, for its particularly Russian iconic flavor and Kurasawa-like massacre scenes.

What's your favorite?

Sue
Subject Author Posted

Tarkovsky, art & sculpture: Nostalghia

Sue February 13, 2005 10:18AM

Re: Tarkovsky, art & sculpture: Nostalghia

Pete Clarke February 14, 2005 03:52AM

Sue February 14, 2005 01:19PM

Pete Clarke February 15, 2005 06:52AM

Sue February 15, 2005 01:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login