Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 18, 2024, 11:13 pm UTC    
Anonymous User
September 19, 2001 09:40AM
<HTML>I apologise for the number of posts I'm making on this today. I know its way off topic and if it is not appreciated I'll stop.

It does appear though that Ishmaels proposed US support for the Northern alliance to wipe out the Taliban will not be a mutual agreement.

National loyalty first (Hekmatyar)
By Jim Muir in Tehran

A leading figure in Afghanistan's anti-Taleban opposition, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, has said the Americans are wrong to blame Osama Bin Laden for the attacks in New York and Washington.

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Hekmatyar said the Americans had no right to attack Afghanistan.

He warned that if they did, his and other groups would fight against them.

Mr Hekmatyar and his Hizb-e Eslami party were major players in the struggle to end the Soviet occupation of the country and in the subsequent power struggle between rival Afghan factions before the Taleban practically swept the board in the mid-1990s.

Since then he has been based in Iran, though he retains some pockets of influence in northern Afghanistan.

National loyalty first

But now, far from cheering the Americans on against the Taleban, he says Washington is making a big mistake.

Mr Hekmatyar said he had no reason not to believe Bin Laden's denial of involvement in the New York and Washington attacks.

He said the Americans had no justification for an attack on Afghanistan in which the Afghan people would be the victims.

He made it clear that if the Americans staged an invasion and tried to install a friendly regime, his and other groups would return to Afghanistan and oppose them.

New unity

"I think if Afghanistan is attacked by America, then our nation has no other choice but to defend their country... The whole of our nation will stand against the attack on their country and... we will go and join our nation," Mr Hekmatyar said.

The Afghan opposition is notoriously fragmented.

But Mr Hekmatyar said that if the Americans staged a major operation, as he believed they would, they would succeed in uniting the Afghan factions against them in the same way as the Soviets did.

And he believed that the US would be no more successful than the Soviets were in imposing their will on the country.

If nothing else, Mr Hekmatyar's warning served as a reminder of the dangerous vacuum and likely chaos that would ensue if the Taleban regime were to be driven out.</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

The evidence against Bin laden

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 06:04AM

Suicide Hijacker' is an Airline Pilot Alive an

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 09:26AM

A letter from Afghanistan

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 09:33AM

National loyalty first (Hekmatyar)

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 09:40AM

Re: National loyalty first (Hekmatyar)

ISHMAEL September 19, 2001 11:19AM

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 11:56AM

Katherine Reece September 19, 2001 12:06PM

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 12:20PM

Re: Suicide Hijacker' is an Airline Pilot Alive an

Duncan Edlin September 20, 2001 05:22AM

Derek Barnett September 20, 2001 05:30AM

Don Barone September 20, 2001 06:50AM

Duncan Edlin September 20, 2001 09:09AM

US 'lacks knowledge to launch land war'

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 12:02PM

Re: US 'lacks knowledge to launch land war'

Katherine Reece September 19, 2001 12:10PM

Re: US 'lacks knowledge to launch land war'

Anonymous User September 19, 2001 12:23PM

Found it!

Katherine Reece September 19, 2001 05:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login