Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 1:36 am UTC    
August 24, 2001 04:06AM
<HTML>Dear all,

Channel 4 had a brilliant 'Secret History' programme on last night about an event that is reckoned to have chnged the course of history. It was about a battle in 9AD in Germany which saw 3 Roman legions, under the command of Varus, defeated by the German tribes, united under Arminius.

Arminius was a Roman educated German and ex Roman soldier. The significance of this battle is that it defined the extent of the Roman expansion and left Europe divided. Romes empire stretched to the Rhine and no further. How would Europe have developed if Germany had 400 hundred years under Roman rule?

What I found particularly fascinating was the recent discovery of stone walled villages, using Roman construction methods, well east of the Rhine. The archeological evidence indicates that these ruins date from around that time and their expansion/existence stops in this period also.

The discovery of these ruins means that the whole history of the area has to be re-written. Various historians and Archeologists spoke and all were very excited about the prospect of having to change their historical paradigms. I saw no attempts to deny the evidence or put spin to save the current paradigm.

It seemed to me that there was a theory of the history of the area and that due to new 'Evidence' turning up the old theory was no longer sustainable. Bingo, all those closed minded academic buffoons busy protecting their jobs and brainwashing their students with the 'Official' view of history, just happened to welcome the new discoveries. And surprise surprise, embraced the opportunity to 'Learn' and expand their knowledge base.

This would go against the characteristics of the academic, as portrayed by the alternative side. And in my humble opinion tallies with my experience of people involved in academia. I never came across a lecturer or professor that portrayed the characteristics put forward by the alternative side. They might exist, but I have never come across one.

Great programme.

Best

Mark</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

The lost legions of Varus

Mark Fagan August 24, 2001 04:06AM

Re: The lost legions of Varus

JoeRoyle August 24, 2001 04:59AM

John Wall August 24, 2001 06:49AM

Mark Fagan August 24, 2001 08:22AM

John Wall August 24, 2001 08:28AM

Mikey Brass August 24, 2001 07:12AM

Mark Fagan August 24, 2001 08:13AM

Re: OOPS Sorry Claire

Mark Fagan August 24, 2001 10:12AM

Re: OOPS Sorry Claire

Claire August 24, 2001 10:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login