Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 11, 2024, 11:02 am UTC    
July 25, 2001 09:29AM
<HTML>There has been a lot of debate about the building of the pyramids and how they managed to get those blocks raised. Some say ramps, and others counter that by saying ramps would have to have been constructed of solid masonry and would have been larger than the pyramids themselves. So this leaves everyone still arguig as to whether there were or were not any ramps.

As far as I know, the pyramid blocks are large at the base and get much smaller as they get nearer the top. This gives me the impression that some form of ramp or hoist was used, as it is easier to haul smaller blocks up to those heights.

But this still leaves the problem of excessive ramp masonry and its wherabouts. So where's the ramp?

The wonderful thing about masonry structures is, you can leave sections out and construct them at a later date.

What I'm about to say may be classed as wild speculation, and as far as I know, only holds good for the great pyramid.

The ancient Egyptians were smart with masonry, they could design and build structures like the pyramids, therefor they were very smart with design concepts and implementation. So where's that flaming ramp?

Is it possible that the ramp for the great pyramid was designed into its structure, and is still in place? Yes I'm talking about the grand gallery. Yes I know it only goes up about half the height of the pyramid, but in that top location it probably incorporates close to 75 percent of the pyramid masonry.

The core masonry consists of columnar blockwork, because of this feature it could be possible that they managed to work around this internal ramp for much of the construction.

Now that I have thrown this little bit into the lions den, see if you can rip it to bits smiling smiley</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Where's the ramp?

sandy July 25, 2001 09:29AM

Re: Where's the ramp?

Anthony July 25, 2001 09:41AM

John Wall July 25, 2001 09:42AM

Anthony July 25, 2001 10:18AM

sandy July 25, 2001 10:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login