Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 3:44 pm UTC    
Alex Bourdeau
August 10, 2001 12:28PM
<HTML>Derek,

The Anthropology in the News website from Texas A&M university has links to press releases on exactly this topic. Right now I would actually refrain from reading anyone's full blown treatise. The battle between the Multiregionalists and the Out of Africans has become, to put it mildly, rancorous. Anyone with standing to get a book published has an axe to grind. Tattersal is OK, but I don't consider him a major player in the debate - he's a bit too speculative for my blood.

What has been very fun in this entire episode has been watching the physical anthropologists huff and snort about the geneticists stepping all over their turf. But it's darn hard to argue with numbers and I have much more confidence in DNA sequences than in someone's opinion about how big such and such a bone has to be in order to be from a Neanderthal (for example). DNA sequences are, with the exception of the odd mutation, uninfluenced by environmental factors such as physical stress, diet, disease and climate. Not so the bones of individuals exposed to these factors.

I would have thought the PA's would have embraced this marvelous new source of data regarding our origins, but instead many of the most influential members of the field circled their wagons of bones and refused to listen. What does Andy Rooney say? Oh yeah, "It's just sad."</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Help with book. Was Neanderthals...n/t

Derek Barnett August 09, 2001 05:04PM

Re: Help with book. Was Neanderthals...n/t

Katherine Reece August 09, 2001 05:09PM

Alex Bourdeau August 10, 2001 12:28PM

Claire August 10, 2001 02:09PM

Alex Bourdeau August 10, 2001 03:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login