Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 30, 2024, 2:03 am UTC    
April 18, 2021 06:02PM
Okay so I found an excellent plan of The Parthenon but it was in some strange measurements that I still haven't figured out yet that used Pi as a multiple but at least they had meters down as well. I went looking for height and width of the columns to see if I could prove that they were in The Phi relationship but as always I got side tracked with a most interesting and possibly game changing discovery. The consensus for the diameter of the columns was 6 feet 4 inches and inf you want to see how truly advance these ancient engineers were try reading about Vitruvious' treatment of how they designed the columns. It is humbling. In the various articles I read on line an underlying statement of fact was that the Parthenon was in the 9 to 4 ratio but I had already figured that out and got 1 to 2.25 by simply scaling the various images I had. But then I started to think, what was the measurements that the Greeks had employed in the design of the structure. So we had feet, 6 feet 4 inches, and meters erroneously listed as radius of 0.733 meters ... and that other bizarre measurement. So what had the Greeks used. I tried Roman measurements but they yielded nothing so back to Wiki I went and found this chart ...

and then I also had this diagram to work off of.

so I had width at 30.395 meters and length by 69.589 meters but when I tried to convert I kept getting meaningless numbers until I figured it out.

If you look at the chart you will see the "a finger" is listed as 0.76 of an inch. I finally saw that if you multiply by a 100 you get 76 inches and that was the diameter of the columns so The Ancient Greeks had simply used 100 Greek fingers for their diameter of the columns. Now how simple is that ... I wonder if anyone has ever seen that before ?

Given this known now that 100 fingers = 76 inches and 1.9304 meters solving for the rest of it became child's play .. or did it ?

The length we had was 69.589 meters and if we divided by 1.9304 we get 36.04900 and then times 100 to get fingers and we get 3604.9 and it became instantly obvious that the length was intended to be and most probably was 3600 fingers and since we knew it was in a 9 by 4 configuration the width was a nice neat 1600 fingers,

CASE CLOSED ! MEASUREMENTS USED WERE GREEK FINGERS !

LENGTH 3600 FINGERS WIDTH 1600 FINGERS

DIAMETER OF COLUMN 100 FINGERS

I can be so clever sometimes ...

db

"There is nothing as impenetrable as a closed mind"
and ..." if everything is a coincidence what is the point of studying or measuring or analyzing anything ?" db
Subject Author Posted

My aplogees to The Ancient Greeks, but in my defense no one ever told me

Ahatmose April 18, 2021 01:48PM

Re: My aplogees to The Ancient Greeks, but in my defense no one ever told me

Ahatmose April 18, 2021 03:08PM

Phi, Phi everywhere Phi ... simply amazing !

Ahatmose April 18, 2021 03:26PM

Re: Phi, Phi everywhere Phi ... simply amazing !

Ahatmose April 19, 2021 01:01AM

The veil is slowly lifting...

Ahatmose April 18, 2021 06:02PM

Re: The veil is slowly lifting... addendum

Ahatmose April 18, 2021 06:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login