Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 26, 2024, 10:40 am UTC    
June 17, 2018 12:30PM
I have started to look for measurements in Ancient Sumer and they are unfortunately as rare as hen's teeth however there is one place that has given us measurements and that is the temple that sat atop ... well here is the quote:

Within Uruk, the greatest monument was the Anu Ziggurat on which the White Temple was built. Dating to the late 4th millennium B.C.E. (the Late Uruk Period, or Uruk III) and dedicated to the sky god Anu, this temple would have towered well above (approximately 40 feet) the flat plain of Uruk, and been visible from a great distance—even over the defensive walls of the city.

and a bit more with the measurements ...

The White Temple:

The White temple was rectangular, measuring 17.5 x 22.3 meters and, at its corners, oriented to the cardinal points. It is a typical Uruk “high temple (Hochtempel)” type with a tri-partite plan: a long rectangular central hall with rooms on either side (plan). The White Temple had three entrances, none of which faced the ziggurat ramp directly. Visitors would have needed to walk around the temple, appreciating its bright façade and the powerful view, and likely gained access to the interior in a “bent axis” approach (where one would have to turn 90 degrees to face the altar), a typical arrangement for Ancient Near Eastern temples.

Well like any good numerologist I immediately tried to see if I could find a ratio and so I divided 22.3 by 17.5 and got ... 1.2742857142857 and becasue of the recurring decimals shows that it is a multiple or has been divided by 7 ... HOWEVER WHERE THERE IS 7 THERE IS USUALLY PI and so since the reciprocal of this number was 0.7847534 I decided to se how close 4 and Pi would be and got this result ...

22.3 / 4 = 5.575 (awfully close to seked 5.5 don't you think ?

5.575 * pi = 17.51

smiling smiley So in another one of those coincidences that I have to be the world's greatest at finding we have The White Temple, an ancient temple of Sumer constructed to basically the same dimensions as The Great Pyramid.

Source for quotes ... [www.khanacademy.org]

"There is nothing as impenetrable as a closed mind"
and ..." if everything is a coincidence what is the point of studying or measuring or analyzing anything ?" db
Subject Author Posted

Pi in Sumeria in late 4th millennium B.C.E

Don Barone June 17, 2018 12:30PM

Re: Pi in Sumeria in late 4th millennium B.C.E

Don Barone June 17, 2018 01:05PM

Don Barone June 18, 2018 08:52AM

Don Barone June 18, 2018 09:56AM

KatDawg February 22, 2020 12:34AM

daniellewatson February 19, 2020 02:43AM

Hermione February 21, 2020 09:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login